Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will there be an effective COVID-19 vaccine in 2020?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jun-23 by Showtalk; 1215 views.
Jeri (azpaints) said:

I'm just going to wait because posting there is a vaccine on the horizon people may feel is safe to ignore masks and social distancing.

Sadly, the stores around here are full of un-masked "los pendejos locos" busy exhaling microscopic droplets, and you don't know which have unexploded mines lurking in them just waiting to detonate in your lungs and produce trillions more, so now you are infected and contagious for a few days or week or more before getting sick.

That's one reason I'd risk trying an experimental vaccine to try and stack the deck a little bit in my favor, to load the dice a bit.

Showtalk said:

They need to do everything they can to stay safe, but we already know many people won’t or don’t care, vaccine or not.

It's those who won't or don't care that really cast doubt on the long term viability of civilization as we know it. I can't think of many ways to deal with those short of the kind of actions one would have associated with Pol Pot in Cambodia or Stalin in the Soviet Union, (or of course Oceania in George Orwell's "1984" where those who don't care or won't care are quietly identified and just disappear - unpersoned.

... Chapter 5
Syme had vanished. A morning came, and he was missing from work: a few
thoughtless people commented on his absence. On the next day nobody
mentioned him. On the third day Winston went into the vestibule of the
Records Department to look at the notice-board. One of the notices carried
a printed list of the members of the Chess Committee, of whom Syme had
been one. It looked almost exactly as it had looked before--nothing had
been crossed out--but it was one name shorter. It was enough. Syme had
ceased to exist: he had never existed.

I have an idea for a T shirt.

Picture the classic Gadsden "Don't Tread On Me" flag. The yellow one with the coiled rattlesnake.

OK, make the T shirt yellow. Put the coiled rattlesnake on it. Instead of "Don't Tread On Me", it says "Don't Cough On Me". The rattlesnake is wearing an N95 mask. Use the exact same font and style as the Gadsden flag for the wording.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

Oddly, since last weekend, husband, son and daughter have all commented they are seeing more masks and more social distancing.  They visit different areas so pretty widespread valley area.  DH is in New Mexico and was told Gallup was fierce about masks, so will be interesting to see what he says when he gets home.  

Three Scottsdale "hip bars" got nailed by the city this week and closed while their liquor licenses are being held hostage.  If you've seen the news footage of the packed bar in Old Town Scottsdale- yep.  Closed for violations.

kizmet1

Jun-26

Yes, thank goodness. My mother started Woolworth OTC glasses shortly after turning 40. She was always losing them. I had to find them for her. They were usually on her head. lol
kizmet1

Jun-26

Re: Scottsdale
Good!
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

Absolutely, especially since the newest surge age average is 39 yrs old 

kizmet1

Jun-26

Yes. I sure wasn't like that at that age.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

How did you type so much without it getting truncated by Delphi?  The best information I have is a vaccine may be available by next February or March at the earliest.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

Texas and Florida have walked back some of their openings.  More masks, no open bars.