Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever thrown something at your TV?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Jun-25 by Showtalk; 669 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-26

His children are almost as strange as he was.  They grew up with him as their major influence until he died.

That can make anyone grow up strange. It can also re-wire the brain in a way that keeps them from interfacing with the rest of the world in any healthy manner.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-27

They were very sheltered but also extremely famous.  I think that was partly to protect them from all the people who wanted to get to them.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

Kidnapping must have been a huge worry.  

Showtalk said:

They were very sheltered but also extremely famous. I think that was partly to protect them from all the people who wanted to get to them.

I know that a lot of people who grew up very sheltered as children often grow into dysfunctional adults who are unable to really cope with the challenges life throws at normal people, and tend to just buckle in despair when faced with a situation that most of us normal people would not only handle well but take in stride.

I'd suspect that highly sheltered people also have a disproportionate share of serious mental health issues, and end up rather tone deaf concerning the rest of the world.

Of course not all of them - I've heard stories of some incredibly famous people in a disaster actually either making a meaningful difference and saving lives and property, sometimes at significant personal risk, or at least not becoming the kind of victim that consumes vast resources to maintain their bubble.

But if you cut open a chrysalis to help the butterfly out, it won't thrive because it needs the struggle and exertion to finish its development properly. Same if you crack open a chicken egg to help the chick hatch. I've heard quite a few motivational speakers make those comparisons to people, especially those who are very highly sheltered.

A related analogy is the huge rise in asthma and other autoimmune  / allergy related disorders in children who are not exposed to dirt and stuff so their immune system doesn't develop properly to mount a proportionate response and distinguish infection from mere irritants in the environment.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-28

Probably. I wonder how their grandmother managed.

Don't know for sure. But I do know that the massive spending came to an abrupt halt when Michael Jackson died, so interest and dividends on the remaining vast fortune quickly caught up to and passed actual living and maintenance expenses.

Had he lived, he might have been bankrupt within another few years.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-28

They seem to have turned out alright. 

In reply toRe: msg 19
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-28