Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Believe Russia Paid Bounty to Taliban To Kill US Soldiers?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-27 by BWArtist; 618 views.
MerlinsDad

Jul-7

Thank you for posting, I read the excerpt and the review.    I find it interesting that such a book would be published while we talking about Gingrich's impact on a take no prisoners style of politics.

If it was politically useful to engage in behavior that could destroy the possibility of governance, which rendered bipartisanship impossible and would unfairly decimate their opponents’ reputations, then so be it. Gingrich-era Republicans were willing to enter into alliances of convenience with extremists who trafficked in reactionary populism, nativism, and racial backlash. The party kept counting on Gingrich’s media-centered strategy, tailoring its actions and statements to push the national conversation in its favor, even if that depended on mixing fact and fiction and practicing a new, brass-knuckles politics of smear.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/books/review/burning-down-the-house-by-julian-e-zelizer-an-excerpt.html

Trump certainly picked up the style and manner.  In the excerpt, Gingrich refers to he and Trump as political "pirates."  We see Gingrich's revolution In Trump's style and in the current radicalization of the Republican party.

I was a little disappointed in the review [it's no wonder.  The review is by Geoffrey Kabaservice . . . research director of the Republican Main Street Partnership], but I picked up this significant passage about the murder of effective governance and the reason for the Republican alienation from truth.

Although Burning Down the House  is not the first history to cast Gingrich as lead assassin in the murder of bipartisanship and effective governance, it is an insightful if deeply unflattering portrait of Gingrich himself, highlighting his signature traits of arrogance, ferocity, amorality and shoulder-shrugging indifference to truth[bolding mine --MD]  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/books/review/burning-down-the-house-julian-zelizer.html

We're seeing a latter day version of the Gingrich style in Trump's current efforts to divide the nation with his descriptions of the protesters as ". . . evil' heralds of a new 'far-left fascism' who seek 'the end of America'" and stating that "'Our nation is witnessing a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values and indoctrinate our children.'”  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/opinion/trump-mount-rushmore-culture-war.html

Especially divisive even by Trump's usual standards, and more tally marks on the liar's blackboard for the man of 20,000 lies.  Gingrich at his down and dirtiest.

Thanks for posting.  The excerpt is enjoyable.  May see if my library has a copy.