Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Believe Russia Paid Bounty to Taliban To Kill US Soldiers?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jun-27 by BWArtist; 525 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

I haven't followed this story yet.

MerlinsDad

Jun-29

Have you seen the newest development9 June 29)?

American officials provided a written briefing in late February to President Trump [bolding mine --MD] laying out their conclusion that a Russian military intelligence unit offered and paid bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, two officials familiar with the matter said.

The investigation into the suspected Russian covert operation to incentivize such killings has focused in part on an April 2019 car bombing that killed three Marines as one such potential attack, according to multiple officials familiar with the matter.

The new information emerged as the White House tried on Monday to play down the intelligence assessment that Russia sought to encourage and reward killings — including reiterating a claim that Mr. Trump was never briefed about the matter  [bolding mine --MD] and portraying the conclusion as disputed and dubious. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/us/politics/russian-bounty-trump.html?auth=login-email&login=email

BWArtist

Jun-30

We are about to witness  how our branches of government are going to deal with what's next. Are they going to work together or work to protect politics first?

Trump's taxes will explain a lot. Today we need to keep an eye on the Supreme Court.

MerlinsDad

Jun-30

The Supreme Court is supposedly independent of the other branches of government; however, since it has been packed with ideologues, I would expect it to put politics first and the law a feeble second.  I speculate that we will never know Trump's tax records.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-30

Roberts votes with the liberals.

MerlinsDad

Jun-30

Far too infrequently to be reliable.  He was appointed by George W. Bush and is still the ideologue in the majority of his decisions.  I should think this would be a unanimous decision to make the records public, but let's at least hope that Roberts votes to do so.

BWArtist

Jul-1

If they vote to conceal those tax records it will be the death of my country's democracy. As good enough reason  to leave for my family's safety. Yet Trump has made it hard to leave . His inaction with the virus has messed that up too!

MerlinsDad

Jul-1

I think this country's democracy has already been seriously damaged by the current administration's embrace of authoritarianism.  I think concealing the tax records would be just one more brick in that authoritarian wall, but not the last.  I'm concerned about his willingness to leave the White House after Biden wins.  What happens if he proposes to become a dictator in total defiance of our democratic voting process, claiming that the election was a fraud?  He's already set up conditions under which he can make that claim, and there might actually be some who believe him.  Let's hope it's one of the largest landslides in our nation's history and that Biden doesn't have to request the military physically remove him from office. 

He's definitely made it harder to leave the country, and he has at this point said nothing about the EU's decision.  I don't think we're anywhere near the peak of this pandemic.  Governors and mayors are going to have to take charge and do it soon, or, as Fauci suggests, we might hit 100,000 new cases a day with a soaring death rate.  Too many governors are shilly shallying around, waiting for leadership.

BWArtist

Jul-1

Most of my news consumption is when I'm working in my studio.  Then I search the written stories online.This morning I'm listening about local health officials that do the job as more of a public service than a paid occupation.  Many angry zealots though are showing up armed and angry at these officials houses after being bombarded with hate email and other forms of aggressive electronic communications. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-22/la-county-health-director-receives-death-threats-over-coronavirus-rulescoronavirus/index.

My point in referring to this is  that is where we are today, I've been keeping  track of all the non sense that has come since this earlier 4th of July weekend....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eight-republicans-spent-july-4-in-russia-where-are-the-fireworks/2018/07/06/beae30be-812e-11e8-b658-4f4d2a1aeef1_story.html

When these senators and one congressman visited the Kremlin on the 4th of July ,after all the craziness Trump had given to that point, it had me developing an analysis of a trend pattern with our 45th president..

As everything has began to add up, to this day, if you look who benefits most from all that has accumulated,  Putin seems to always be a beneficiary. Either directly or indirectly.

From the day the Russians were invited in the Oval office without any way for our people to document the visit,but the Russian press was allowed , my radar went up. Then the Helsinki visit where Trump went in secret with Putin and Trump came out of that undocumented meeting so submissive and proclaiming how powerful Putin was. And for most of this journey, Trump's minions deny anything is to be scrutinized! It's been exhausting. And it's still crazy. Again My son goes to the local market the other day and is confronted with an old guy that looked a lot like the crazy Florida bigot that Trump tweeted shouting White Power with his fist waving in his golf cart. Looking a lot like that guy,he was staring my son up and down and when  my son asked if he's got a problem, he scurries away. Just because my son wears a mask in public shopping.

Then how about last weekend when Branson Missouri  had Black Lives Matter protesters across the street from the Confederate memorabilia store in town. On the other side where the store was located, there were far right zealots  waving Confederate flags  and toting automatic weapons. I've been on that road and the first thing came to mind was I wonder if Andy Williams would still build his theater in this town?

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/confederate-store-branson-missouri-protests-center-71429742

Well I'm rambling in frustration at this point. I'm having less patience with right wingers response as to there is nothing to worry about condensations and such. Again the division in our country is becoming very toxic. Trump is toxic to democracy. And Putin is the  usual beneficiary.

I hope the Supreme court doesn't let me down. The most sure way to figure out what has been going on is to follow the money. But if the republicans are found to be compromised, who knows what they will be able to shut off. 

I do know many old school republicans that are disgusted what has become of their party . I'm disgusted  with the division and how an adversary can play some of us for fools. Like these two guys...

Where does an American go to escape the Trump crazies? Perhaps that could make a good poll .

• Edited July 1, 2020 6:24 pm  by  BWArtist
MerlinsDad

Jul-1

BWartist  says: "I hope the Supreme court doesn't let me down. The most sure way to figure out what has been going on is to follow the money. But if the republicans are found to be compromised, who knows what they will be able to shut off."

I don't expect to find what you are looking for in Trump's tax reports.  I think we'll find that a lot of money is going back and forth between Russia and the Trump businesses.  Some of it is probably shady.  I think we'll also find that he has seriously underpaid his taxes.  Any political deals won't show or Trump's even a bigger fool than he appears to be,  I think we might find that he is deeply in debt to some Russian oligarchs.  That could cause a scandal.  I don't think his tax report will show that Republicans have been compromised by him or the Russians.   He might, as I said, be compromised by debt. 

BWArtist says:  "I'm having less patience with right wingers response as to there is nothing to worry about condensations and such. Again the division in our country is becoming very toxic. Trump is toxic to democracy. And Putin is the  usual beneficiary."

I think you have reason to have less patience with right wing response, especially like the one in Missouri for which you provided the link.  Trump is pushing 20,000 lies during his 1258 days in office.  He has pulled the Republican Party into that black hole as they have twisted and turned to find ways to support and/or cover for him, growing ever more radical.  I wonder if they even know what they stand for.  They've had trouble with reality for many years, and the Trump administration only demonstrates how far they've been willing to roam away from truth and reality,  I sometimes question if many of them areany longer capable of discerning truth from Trump's delusions.  The Party has become radical and Trump is fanning that radicalism.  Because he is delusional, he has loosed all the demons in Pandora's box and violence has become permissible.  When he worries about Confederate statues instead of doing his job by acknowledging the problems of police brutality and racial injustice and promising to address them at the national level, they are encouraged and think they can intensify the violence and hate speech.

You have every reason to be frustrated.  You're not the only one.  Many are frustrated which is why Biden is polling 10 to 14 points ahead of Trump.  It will take Biden a year to clean the swamp Trump has brought into our government and restore it.  Biden needs to talk about the restoration of democracy, freedom, and liberty for all citizens, not just the select few the crazies, like those fellows in the photo, envision.  He needs to talk about racial injustice and how he will solve it.  He talks about restoring the middle class and making it larger.  The strength of this country is the middle class, which is why we've nearly been pushed out of existence due to wage stagnation for the past thirty or forty years.  To bring about this transformation, he will have to weaken the stranglehold business has on the nation and strengthen the worker's role in the nation's prosperity.

Be frustrated.  But hang in there.