Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Poor RNC can't win   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-30 by Jeri (azpaints); 2673 views.

With an astronaut helmet, one could read facial expressions. They can even use an anti-reflective coating on the visor, and put LED lights inside to further illuminate the face, like the space suit helmet design depicted in the Stanley Kubrick film "2001: A Space Odyssey".

What would be hilarious would be for a politician to take the podium wearing one of those, then his first words were (doing a sound check) "Hal. Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

and someone out of sight then says through the PA system "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

although of course the plot in that scene was Dave had left his helmet behind and not taken it with him into the pod - something every would-be astronaut (and actual astronaut / cosmonaut) has likely pointed out is an absolute no-no in any real space mission as a serious breach of basic safety protocol.

The politician could then deviate from the famous script by saying something like "Then I'll come in the airlock - as you can see, I remembered my space helmet".

weather update. 45.6 degrees C. It's dry enough though that stepping out in 114 degree heat if you soak your T shirt in water first, only feels like maybe upper 80s - at least for the first 5 minutes until it dries out.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-14

I saw a segment on TV about a local group that is making masks with clear plastic inserts for ASL so lip reading is possible.  Maybe something like that?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-14

That is assuming politicians have a sense of humor and understand cultural references. Or that voters do.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-14

I saw those! I didn’t realize why they were for Deaf people. That makes sense.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-14

Bet it would help with kids, too.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-14

It would help if they can see experessions.

Yeah. Even fewer would get the morphed skit someone else once did

The Hal vs Dave dialog, then Dave pounds on the door and says "It's Dave! Open up the <bleep> door!"

Hal: "uh, Dave's not here."

(2001 morphs into Cheech and Chong)