Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the word “Master” be removed or changed wherever it is used?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 1005 views.
In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

Some realtors no longer using "master" to describe bedrooms and bathrooms

Other industries are also removing the word "master" from their vocabularies, as it has roots in racism

MerlinsDad

Jul-2

I voted other.  I think the realtors are correct in dropping the term "master bedroom," although I didn't read what they plan to use in its place.  "Master bedroom" has unfortunate connotations.

On the other hand, the use of the word master in Master's degree or Master's Tournament refers to skill level. 

I'm not sure how to sort out the different connotations, but, for now, dropping the reference to the larger bedroom, often the one with bathroom attached, as the master's bedroom seems like a wise move.

kizmet1

Jul-2

Things are not only getting out of line, people are going nuts. What is next?
No one complains about "whitey" "fatty" "old man or "old lady". I am sure there are many others. In the meantime profanity is ok, even on Delphi.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

Primary bedroom.  It’s funny that Master is an old term, which began to mean accomplished at something. In Britain it refers to a child who isn’t old enough to be called Mister yet.  Our country is very ethnocentric to think we created the word. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

I can remember when my grandmother would address birthday cards and the like to "Master Merlin's Dad."  Haven't seen that usage in many decades.  Primary bedroom would work, so would largest.  Neither have the pazazz realtors want, however.  I'm sure most prospective buyers like to think of themselves as "master of their own castle."    

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

I’m sure women buyers don’t want to be masters of their own castles.  That is also an outdated concept.  What if the primary bedroom isn’t the largest?  Usually those have their own bathrooms but sometimes other rooms do too.  I’m curious to see what the decorating shows call the bedrooms now.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-3

Wonder if someone is trying to come up with a better set of names for beds?  King, queen, double, twin?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

King and queen are out of date.

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

I haven't kept up with the realty business since I bought my house.  I'm glad you have and know the details.