Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever cooked with canned Spam?   The Ravenous You: Food, Glorious Food

Started Jul-14 by Showtalk; 894 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

That makes sense.

kizmet1

Jul-16

It was a special treat to have a spam sandwich when young. I loved it. Can't think of any other way I would eat it now except with scrambled eggs.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

A lot of recipes I saw paired it with eggs or with eggs and rice.

kizmet1

Jul-16

Sometimes my mother would make spam and eggs for Sunday brunch when I was a child.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

It was an important food item for people living through WW II.

kizmet1

Jul-16

Yes, it was also a staple for many during the depression.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

Which I think is why it’s so popular in Japan.  For years they had limited access to fresh meat.

I have. Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Well, actually it was circa 2012 or so. I probably should do some more if that's still relatively cheap. I have cooked using corned beef in the pre-pandemic era but with just about all meats skyrocketing in cost, we're shifting a lot more to rice and beans and flavorings instead.

Add green food coloring to the eggs, and you have a classic Dr Seuss book recipe, although it was actual ham rather than Spam.

“I will not eat them in a house, i will not eat them with a mouse,i will not eat them in a box i will not eat them with a fox, i will not eat them here of there i will not eat them anywhere, I do not like green eggs and ham i do not like them sam i am"

and then once he actually tried them, he liked them.

Once when I was a kid we did fix scrambled eggs with green food coloring, actually more blue to shift the normal yellow into the green region. If you use green food coloring it tends to turn them more brown than green.

Evidently it was a staple during WW2 precisely because the cans were shelf stable and required a minimum of preparation to eat in the trenches or during the advance across Europe.