Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The U.S. economy’s contraction in the second quarter was the worst on record.   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-30 by MerlinsDad; 834 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-30

I use everything but still see some auto play. How do you stop it?

The ways to stop the remaining autoplays keep changing as the arms race keeps escalating.

At the moment, here are the top sets of instructions on various methods. I'd tend to periodically google for it (or use duckduckgo or StartPage or Bing to find updated versions)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1278114

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/stop-video-autoplay/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1274056

https://www.guidingtech.com/disable-all-autoplay-videos-firefox-without-extensions/

Autoplaying videos are a scourge. And no, I’m not talking about YouTube, Netflix, or any other site that you visit simply to stream videos. It’s those sites that you go primarily with the intention to read. Instead, you are bombarded by stupid videos that start to play somewhere within a page. ... These videos are just plain pointless for the most part. Not just that, but they also come with increased page loading times and consume tons of bandwidth in the process. ... Thankfully, Firefox now features the ability to block these pesky videos from playing automatically. Finally, you won’t have to rely on extensions (that may or may not work) to help you out in that regard. ...

People using Microsoft Edge are probably just SOL. It's a lot harder to do with Chrome because it's one of the tentacles of Google, whose whole business model is spamming you with paid search results and of course advertising which particularly includes annoying videos that autoplay.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-31

There are videos that jump down the page to follow you.

Are you running firefox or something else?

There is also a little thing that uBlock Origin adds - you can right click on the offending video, and it gives you the option of "Block Element". Essentially it highlights the offending HTML segment that calls up the unwanted video. You click the Select button, then move the mouse until it highlights the video, then click that, and finally "Create" to make the new block list, and viola - the video vanishes.

But yeah. A video that follows me down the screen, I get really upset about. I still get the inactive video box following down the page, and if it is covering what I want to read, I'll use the uBlock Origin plug-in to zap it.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-31

Firefox now. I have others.

Did you try the settings in some of those instructions? On mine I noticed the exact setting menus are not worded the same and the check box was for stop auto-play video, video + audio, neither instead of the way a couple of the articles broke out the selection tree.

It took me a while to find the settings on an Ubuntu 16.04-LTS machine running FIrefox 75.something.

Under Firefox running on Windows, the various menus are not all in exactly the same places, and they move around from update to update just like under most Linux builds.

On mine running on Ubuntu 18.04, I clicked Edit | Preferences, which opened up a new tab called about:preferences.

On the sidebar of that page, click on Privacy and Security

Scroll down until you find a section called "Permissions"

Inside that section should be an expandable line that says Autoplay. Click on the Settings button that is on that line. It will take you to another sub-page, and there's a drop-down menu to change the default settings. This pristine installation says "Block Audio".

Click on the little downward pointed chevron or caret symbol to the right of that edit window, and it will give you choices of Allow Audio and Video, Block Video, and Block Audio and Video.

Select Block Audio and Video.

There is also a large edit area beneath it that lets you input a list of specific sites to exempt, permit one of those things, etc. so you can filter by site for those you need an exception for it to function. My exception list is still blank on all the computers.

I'm not sure where the settings are under Windows but it's probably similar.

You can also access this by clicking the "hamburger" 3 line thingy in the far right edge just below the tabs and the X to close the application entirely,

But it's pretty effective for most sites, as evidently now Firefox developers realized that the arms race for stopping annoying content is ongoing and most average people don't have the expertise to keep up with it. By building it into the browser and using updates to deal with newly discovered threats, it is likely far more secure for more people than everyone having to go research how to block the latest exploit site operators have implemented.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-2

That seems awfully complicated.  I wish those sites would realize if people leave and never come back, their autoplays are defeating the purpose. 

Showtalk said:

That seems awfully complicated. I wish those sites would realize if people leave and never come back, their autoplays are defeating the purpose.

Some people who run some organizations truly think that the solution to whatever problem they run into is to double down on whatever they were doing.

Maybe if enough people leave and never come back that the site becomes insolvent, their traffic is replaced by other sites that don't bombard people with those autoplays and creepy ads.

A long time ago when the Information Superhighway was more of an Information Wagon Trail, I learned to never, ever respond in a positive manner to spam.

It's a simple rule but it seems to be kind of organic. And most people quickly understand how to implement it.

The advertising cartel has not quite figured that out. The more obnoxious and intrusive and bandwidth and CPU and memory hogging a site is, the more it drives people away.