Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Deceptive political videos on Facebook and Twitter   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-1 by MerlinsDad; 1134 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

People can do that now with blocking programs.

MerlinsDad

Sep-2

A news item about deceptive political videos on Facebook and Twitter.

• Edited September 2, 2020 6:09 pm  by  MerlinsDad
Showtalk said:

People have been blocked for posting true political commentary as well. I forget what they call it when their accounts are visible to them but no one else can see them.

Shadow banning

Showtalk said:

People can do that now with blocking programs.

However, blocking at the firewall, because it's a separate hardware platform with its own operating system and such, can be devastatingly effective precisely because it blocks the traffic to every computer downstream of it on the network. It also stops the technopeasant, who understands how to use blocking programs a little bit less than the average 17th century farmer would, from letting the tentacles of the blocked sites from getting into the LAN.

I had to do that at work once because someone kept getting malware infections no matter how often I cleaned them up - usually search engine browser hijacks - until I finally managed to figure out the admin access into the primary router / firewall and built up a good blacklist. Then it didn't matter how well or how poorly someone's computer was secured against malware, even if it tried to phone home and go re-install the malware, that traffic was blocked upstream and so although they couldn't get to their favorite online gambling or pr0n sites, they also didn't get re-infected.

I became a firm believer in external firewall based malware protection around that time, precisely because it lets you stop it from reaching even totally unprotected computers, whose users were incapable of understanding that the charming Nigerian prince really doesn't have $26 million US from an oil contract that he'll share if you just help launder it out of the country.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

Yes, that is the term I was thinking of.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

The famous Nigerian prince.

Yep. When I read about that Nigerian 419 scam, and hear of someone who is still so naive (or desperately suspending disbelief) to fall for it, I picture Eddie Murphy in "Coming to America"

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

That was a good movie at the time.

I ought to see if I can find an old VHS of it. Don't know if it ever went onto DVD. I remember more scenes from "Beverly Hills Cop"