Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you agree with the limited topic selection for the final debate?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 10/22/20 by Showtalk; 2429 views.
Showtalk said:

It’s going to be a different holiday season. Who is going to cook a huge turkey if there isn’t a big gathering to help eat it?

Or if one doesn't have the freezer space to hold 20 pounds of cold turkey from Thanksgiving to New Year's to microwave one individual serving at a time.

Showtalk
Host

10/29/20

That would take a separate free standing freezer.

The 15 cubic foot chest freezer seems to be adequate to hold a couple of turkeys.

Or for Norman Bates to keep up the charade of his mother for a few more years after her passing without being discovered so soon, and make the movie a little longer.

And of course Hannibal Lecter could easily keep his special dietary needs satisfied for longer so he wouldn't have such a feast or famine.

Showtalk
Host

10/30/20

Do we have to go there?  Not very pleasant.  I’d rather think about turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys. About 42 years ago, on a sitcom far, far away, a radio station does a publicity stunt involving turkeys for Thanksgiving. And it goes horribly wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ

from comments:
"The true brilliance of this scene is that we are never actually shown the unfolding disaster, we are TOLD it and we end up visualising the whole scene in our imaginations. This is exactly how comedy (and drama) on radio worked in the medium's golden age. We are experiencing radio comedy through a TV show"

"41 years later, still one of the funniest bits ever done on TV... and I saw the episode on first broadcast. :)"

"Never gets old. One of the best written sitcom scenes ever"

"I was seven or eight when this aired and I remember laughing along with my parents so uncontrollably that I got scared ‘cause I couldn’t breathe. "

"This was based on a true story, based on Hugh Wilson's job at a radio station in Atlanta."

"Oh, the humanity!" said in a perfect parody of that line from the Hindenburg disaster.

The HindenBird disaster.

Showtalk
Host

10/31/20

That a funny skit.  Turkeys can be dangerous and vicious

Feral turkeys. Best ammo is .223 with copper jacketed bismuth hollowpoint, which will dump the kinetic energy quickly while minimizing damage to the meat. You want pre-scored jacketed bullets so they fully expand and fragment and reduce over-penetration and possible damage downrange.

Unless they are really close. Then there is a special urban law enforcement handgun round that uses a plastic bullet, and an incredibly fast burning powder. The ultra-lightweight bullet exits at speeds one would expect from a center fired rifle round, but at .357 magnum or 9mm, has much greater air resistance.

At bedroom or apartment distance, it's incredibly lethal because it punches a really big entry wound and delivers a devastating shock wave through vital organs, ripping up blood vessels and nerves. Then its energy is fully spent.

At about 60 feet or so, it has lost 3/4 of its velocity and goes subsonic around 100 feet. By the time it has traveled a city block, it essentially just drops harmlessly to the ground, and you can probably just catch the bullet bare-handed without injury at about 250 to 280 feet away. Once it's below about 100 feet per second, or roughly 70 mph, it won't even break the skin and probably won't bruise through denim pants or jacket.

Thus these special rounds go from over 2,000 mph right as they leave the muzzle, to maybe around 25 mph by the time it travels a block. It breaks into dust if it goes through a wall, so it's far less likely to endanger someone in the floor above or below, or in the next door unit if you happen to miss the bad guy.

Now for hunting turkeys where there's a danger of hitting something behind it, you can also shoot these exotic rounds out of a carbine, which is a rifle that is chambered for a pistol round. This gives you a lot more accuracy and a little more range.

Of course you can also use the traditional shotgun if they get within about 100 feet or so. You can get steel shot, and a 12 gauge with a 19 inch cylinder bore will give you a really good shot pattern that is sure to stop the bird, maybe even get more than 1 with a single shot.

Just need to dress the birds out quickly, clean them, and get them in the freezer. Thanksgiving is around the corner. WIld feral turkeys will not have as much white meat as a Butterball from the frozen food section of WalMart, and take more work to actually clean and cook it, but it thins out the feral herd.

Showtalk
Host

11/1/20

I never thought about that but hunters who are looking for food could destroy a bird and end up without any usable meat.

You do have to choose a caliber and ammo appropriate for the critter you are hunting. If you were to shoot a rabbit with an M-1 Garand, you'd likely find nothing but "pink mist" on the brush behind Ground Zero , and bits of fur hanging in the air, and you'd be quite hungry.

But if you shot that same rabbit with a Ruger 10-22, you have this little hole and the rest of the meat and hide, bones, and other parts would be intact and usable for food, part of a warm jacket (you'd need a few more rabbits, maybe a dozen or so to make a decent fur coat). But you'd get a good meal out of it.

Showtalk
Host

11/3/20

I don’t know much about hunting but don’t they usually use traps when they can?