Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Curious About Your Roots?   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Jan-1 by kizmet1; 779 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jan-4

Learning from my friend’s mistake, she would have had better results if she let them know she had learned something possibly controversial about the family and would they want know.  You would think yes, but things don’t always appear the same to different people.

kizmet1

Jan-4

A lot of people are so anxious to please Ancestry by making their tree grow that they don't care whose privacy they invade. A relative (still alive) was born in 1928. The Great Depression hit afterward. The 1930 census listed her with an older sister and she and the sister had different mothers but the same father. I discovered it and told the poster and also said 1928 child was alive and other child was her cousin and there is a rule against posting the living. He took it down for a couple of years but put it back. He is proud of all the many names he has. Must be at least 1,000? I may be on his list for all I know?
Showtalk
Host

Jan-4

How does that work? You can only list people who are deceased?

kizmet1

Jan-4

That is the way it should be but not all are aware of it.
Also, many post a nick name, misspelled name, or copy cat errors.
I heard stories from my gm and some thought she was embellishing about one line so I started doing research to prove her correct. I was 12.
Showtalk
Host

Jan-5

You’ve been at it a while.

kizmet1

Jan-5

Many years.
It work swell for me because history was my best subject in school.
Showtalk
Host

Jan-5

Maybe history was your best subject because of your interest in genealogy.

kizmet1

Jan-5

Probably. When I slept with my gm she would tell bedtime stories of her childhood in AK, in CA, on a farm and various parts of Portland. Nothing boring about her "olden days".
Showtalk
Host

Jan-5

Families are fascinating.

kizmet1

Jan-6

Yes, they are. Many great books and movies are based on real people.