Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you been vaccinated for Covid 19?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started 3/6/21 by Showtalk; 4792 views.
WALTER784

3/29/21

Showtalk said...

The boat is afloat.  It may be free by tomorrow.

Yep, the rudder has been free for 2 days now, and in the next day or two, several really large tug boats will arrive and should be able to pull it off the sandbar it's washed up on.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

3/29/21

Will it be used again or is it ruined?

WALTER784

3/29/21

Showtalk said...

Will it be used again or is it ruined?

Damage seems to have been minimal and it can run on it's own power now.

However, as in all accidents, there will be a full hull inspection but that cannot be done until the ship arrives in Rotterdam and gets all those hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo off that ship.

Then they will move it into drydock, pump all the water out and give the entire hull a complete inspection. But that probably won't happen for at least another month or three depending on how soon and where they can find an empty drydock that large.

So I would imagine that they will take it out of commission once it offloads it's current cargo until the inspection is complete and it's given a sea-worthy go-ahead to be re-commissioned back into service.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

3/29/21

Do they know why it ran aground?

WALTER784

3/30/21

I have yet to see a final report. That may take a month or two, but I did read a report that wind was NOT a factor.

I have a suspicion that it might have been purposeful negligence, but will wait for the final report!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

3/30/21

Maybe over the weight limit?

WALTER784

3/30/21

Showtalk said...

Maybe over the weight limit?

I doubt it. If it were overweight, it would have either sunk or toppled over (unable to be ballasted properly).

I know it may look like a lot of containers on top to you, but I go deep sea fishing all the time and have seen numerous ships that look very similar to that. They're amazing to watch real close up.

I believe this one was intentional, but we'll have to wait and see the final report.

I have several suspicions as I've seen several other similar accidents in the past where a Chinese captain of a large vessel caused their ship to drift into the causeway bridge entering the Japanese Kansai International Airport and closed road access to the airport for 4 or 5 months during re-construction. Then, there was a Chinese pilot who crash landed on one of the two runways at Narita International Airport closing one of the runways for close to two weeks during inspection of the crash and then clean up.

This time, the owner of the ship is Japanese, but the Captain of the ship was Chinese.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

3/30/21

You think it was done on purpose? Why?

WALTER784

3/30/21

Leverage...

Do as we say or expect similar to occur costing your country Billions in repairs... or do this and we won't pursue similar tactics in the future.

Mafia style!

Here's the 2018 ship collision with the bridge going to Kansai International Airport.

Ship captain accused over tanker collision with Kansai airport bridge in 2018 typhoon

Ship captain accused over tanker collision with Kansai airport bridge in 2018 typhoon

It closed the 3rd largest airport in Japan for several months.

The Chinese initially claimed it was the strong typhoon, but later it was revealed that the captain was to blame.

FWIW

• Edited March 30, 2021 10:49 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

3/30/21

There must be a way to stop that from happening.