Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you believe in holding back math students for math equity?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 5/20/21 by Showtalk; 2736 views.
In reply toRe: msg 13
WALTER784

5/23/21

Yes, it's interesting, but those same kanji characters have an even sadder or perhaps funnier aspect to them as well.

Print out those characters and go down to any local tatoo parlor and look for them.

Many Americans don't know how to read the kanji characters but often choose characters with a lot of strokes in them as being kool. If the tatoo shop is run by Chinese, you will probably find those characters in their list to tatoo on people's bodies.

I saw a guy once with that tatoo on his arm and asked him if he knew what it meant... he said he didn't know... I told him and he went totally ape s##t!

The Chinese know good and well what the characters stand for, but still offer it to unknown susceptible Americans wanting a kanji tatoo. 

So if you know anybody who has tatoos, show them those characters and have them inform their friends NOT to get that tatoo!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

5/24/21

If I know anyone planning a tattoo and they show me symbols, I will tell them.  The odds of that happening are close to zero.

WALTER784

5/25/21

Just tell anybody you know who has tatoos... and tell them to pass it on to their tatoo friends.

FWIW

Keltos

5/30/21

Hello, I always struggled with math in school and suspect that I might have this dyscalculia. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be the sympathy associated with it as there is for dyslexia, and poor math students are either labelled as dumb or lazy whereas, I suspect math ability to be more inborn than something that can be learned. I could improve a little bit it through intense study, like bringing a C to a B, but intense study shouldn't be necessary if born with the gift. And the intense study was often to the detriment of other courses.

Ironically, I got a good Math SAT score because I do have the ability to visualize proportions, and where the SATs are objective multiple choice I could visualize what the approximate value should be and pick the closest from the multiple choice answers. At least for the way the questions were structured at that time.At least for the way the questions were structured at that time. And I took the SAT twice without a prep course and got similar scores, slightly higher the second time,  My problem is with doing math operations and understanding the symbology.

Showtalk
Host

5/30/21

There isn’t sympathy because people lack understanding of why disabilities occur.  They are actually due to the way someone’s brain processes material as well as how it’s taught in schools.  You appear to have a conceptual understanding which is how you were able to do so well twice on the SAT.  I worked with a student who was failing third grade math but could explain the concepts to the class as to how the process worked and why.  The teacher had no idea how to teach the child  multiplication or division when the student couldn’t do rote addition or subtraction.  

You might find this website helpful.

Showtalk said:

The teacher had no idea how to teach the child multiplication or division when the student couldn’t do rote addition or subtraction.

The trend towards doing everything by rote over the past 30 years has produced a whole bunch of young adults who can do well whenever they have a script to follow, but let a situation happen that there isn't a rote memorized script to follow, and they freeze like a deer in the headlights, often with disastrous results.

They have sown to the wind by teaching to the test and teaching by rote memorization rather than actually teaching the underlying fundamentals and mechanisms, and as a result they have reaped the whirlwind with a whole bunch of twenty and thirty-somethings who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

They are about to make it worse.  One state is experimenting with getting rid of advanced placement courses, too, that allows high school students to take courses and test out of college courses when they get to college.  If the college accepts the credits, a student can graduate early saving money off tuition as well as time. 

Showtalk said:

They are about to make it worse. One state is experimenting with getting rid of advanced placement courses, too, that allows high school students to take courses and test out of college courses when they get to college.

Those whose parents can afford it are fleeing here to Texas, and also to nearby Oklahoma and sometimes Louisiana, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas to escape the nonsense. Probably others are going to Arizona, Utah, and Nevada, and even New Mexico, Utah, and some are still in Montana even after experiencing months of ice and snow this past winter and not freezing.

Many rural areas of the "mountain redoubt states" are gentrifying and higher prices are driving locals out.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

People have to move somewhere.

Showtalk said:

People have to move somewhere.

If they can't fix the problems at home, and want their kids to have a future, they "vote with their feet". At least the California refugees aren't having to flee in inner tubes and bathtubs and other improvised flotation devices to cover 90 miles of open ocean to reach Florida.