Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the word Mother be replaced with Birthing Person?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 6/8/21 by Showtalk; 2299 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

I will too.  I can’t even imagine saying birthing person when I talk about my own mother. What would be the new term for fathers?

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

It’s ironic that freedom of speech only applies if you use the new terms.

I have not heard, I'm curious though how wacky it would be!

I totally agree with  you. That's why I rarely pipe up about things.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

There isn’t a comparable term for males, except they may not be males anymore.  From what I saw, even those who want the language changed don’t care for the term birthing person.  It’s too vague and it could be confused with a midwife, who is now known by some as a doula.  That is in accurate, too because a doula doesn’t perform medical care.  The more they try to change it, the more confusing it gets.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

I like hearing a lot of opinions, so I don’t mind discussing alternatives but we had to move away from politics in this forum due to fighting.  

They can change without me, I'm keeping things as they are.

I do too, and that is why I don't like discussing it, some forums, oh my gosh, I couldn't exit the fast enough LOL  It's a shame people are like that, it's their way or else.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

You won’t be alone It’s almost impossible to change the language for everyone, even if they are on board.  People slip up. I have a friend whose son became a woman. His mother was fine with it but can’t remember the new name or the right pronoun.  She wants to but she can’t.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-16

That is why some people don’t post here anymore.  A few kept pushing it and lost privileges.  A long as they are polite, they can post, but once the attacks became personal, no.  I’ve never run a political forum before and I don’t want to now.