Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Idiots   The Jovial You: Humor, Jokes and Riddles

Started Jul-18 by WALTER784; 528 views.
WALTER784 said:

Swedish business consultant Ulf af Trolle labored 13 years on a book about Swedish economic solutions. He took the 250-page manuscript to be copied, only to have it reduced to 50,000 strips of paper in seconds when a worker confused the copier with the shredder.

I can picture the kind of lawsuit that would erupt from that in the US. But then I'd think that, while requirements for competence are not as stringent as, say, landing a Gulfstream III under meteorological instrument conditions with a 40 knot crosswind at an airfield in mountainous terrain, one should at least clearly know the difference between a copier and a shredder and probably have them in totally different facilities.

But then I'd likely have been making running copies of a priceless manuscript as it was being written, much for the same reason as I make incremental backups that go off-site when working on something that can't be replaced.

A bonus of off-site backups is, more than once i've made a sufficiently complex error that it was more productive to actually restore a prior backup to un-do everything back to the end of the previous day.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-18

The sad thing is these true stories are both funnier and scarier than any jokes.

WALTER784

Jul-18

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

one should at least clearly know the difference between a copier and a shredder and probably have them in totally different facilities.

Actually, you'd be surprised... my company's headquarters building has the shredder sitting about 15' from the printer.

And a company I was once outsourced to had the shredder sitting right next to the printer/fax/copier machine.

But they're entirely different devices and nobody should be able to confuse them.

Do any of these look like a printer/copier/fax machine?

https://www.amazon.com/hredders/b?ie=UTF8&node=172591

FWIW

WALTER784

Jul-18

Showtalk said...

The sad thing is these true stories are both funnier and scarier than any jokes.

For quite q few of them... yes!

FWIW

Nope. It doesn't look like a copier or fax or printer.

But then, there are people loose in the world who know about as much about office machines as a 17th century peasant farmer.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-19

No, copiers have glass on top and lids. Shredders look like wastebaskets with tops.

WALTER784

Jul-20

Yep... printers/copiers have room to store blank paper to print on/copy to underneath where as shredders only have a slit on top to place the paper to be shredded in and a large garbage bag below it to catch the shredded paper.

Only a real true idiot would confuse the two!

FWIW