Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What is your favorite Beatles song?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Sep-29 by WALTER784; 2090 views.
WALTER784

Oct-1

Yellow Submarine is another good one...

FWIW
WALTER784

Oct-1

One of the less known Beatles songs is "I'm Down"...

It's not really on the chart of "my favorites"... but still a Beatles song none the less...

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Oct-1

You must sing well.  

WALTER784

Oct-1

Started in Church Choir... at age 6.

Ages 12 ~ 14... was part of our Church Quartet... we went around singing at numerous Churches from Florida all the way up to Virginia on several tours during our school breaks. Made the news a few times as well.

And then the years and years and years in Japanese Karaoke bars... (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW

Alfi (THIALFI)

Oct-2

That's my favorite.

WALTER784

Oct-2

Please Mister Postman is another good one...

FWIW
In reply toRe: msg 16
WALTER784

Oct-2

And don't forget "She Loves You"...

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Oct-2

Ohh, one of those. A music teacher once told me the best voices come out of church choirs.  Choir directors are often excellent musicians who decide to go that direction because music is so difficult and may have other day jobs. One of my children is a singer, also plays an instrument, but went a different direction for a career.

WALTER784

Oct-2

Showtalk said...

A music teacher once told me the best voices come out of church choirs.

Well, I'm not sure all of them come from church choirs, but learning from a young age and continuing to practice regularly are the secrets to a good voice. Most of the famous singers started out learning at a young age and rehearsing quite a bit along their way.

Showtalk said...

One of my children is a singer, also plays an instrument, but went a different direction for a career.

Singing and/or playing an instrument is not for everyone. Just because one can perform well, doesn't mean they should follow it for the rest of their lives.

Just look at all the street performers around the world with their instruments in hand playing for a few pennies. All of them want to become stars, but very few will make it. Same with opera, stage singers, live bands, etc. Only a small hand full of them make it to stardom!

I too, sang and played the trombone in my high school's marching band but my specialty was mathematics.

When I joined the Navy, they had me take an ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test. My high score allowed me to join any branch of service and just about any field I wanted. They recommended that I join the Air Force but I chose the Navy. They recommended I go for the CIC (Counter Intelligence Command) position, but I decided to go for the Radioman position. Went through basic radio communications training and then 3.5 years onboard ship actually using the communications equipment and satellite uplinks.

When I got out of the Navy, those communications skills helped me get into computers and networking field and I've just continued in that field adding security skills along the way as well.

Never picked up a trombone after I graduated high school, but I do continue to sing.

I have no regrets of the path I went and wouldn't really change much if anything at all!

But let's get back to the Beatles shall we?

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-2

All You Need is Love!