Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever used a manual typewrite...   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Dec-3 by WALTER784; 1981 views.
WALTER784

Dec-4

The one in the picture is exactly like one my father had... and I used it to write my high school final essay on.

The Selectric was an electric typewriter. Did the one you used have a golf ball hammer on it?

My father later bought one of those too.

But look closer at the picture again. I've drawn a red square around one part of the picture. Do you know what that lever is for?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-4

Is that a caps key? Yes, it had a ball on it containing the letters. 

WALTER784

Dec-5

Nope... The shift keys are at the bottom left and bottom right. (Note: The bottom right shift key has the actual button missing.)

That lever has a red and a black button on it. That was to choose the ribbon color to use. The ribbon cartridge itself would move up or down depending on which color button you pressed on it. It's exactly like the one my father had.

Not all typewriters had that feature. Many of them only supported single color ribbon so if you wanted to change colors, you would have to change the ribbon.

And for those ribbons, they actually had a ribbon re-inker so that when the ribbon color started to get thin, you could re-ink the same ribbon and re-use it over and over and over again. But with the two-color ribbon, they didn't make a re-inker.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

I don’t remember a 2 color ribbon on any typewriter.

WALTER784

Dec-5

My Dad had one. And that picture I showed you was the type of ribbon in his typewriter.

I won't go as far as saying you're growing senile... (* ROFLMAO *) but perhaps you've just never seen one.

And that's what that red/black lever was for... to raise or lower the ink ribbon to print in red or black.

FWIW

• Edited December 5, 2021 10:36 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

As I said I never had a manual typewriter and my family did not have any type when I was a child. They never needed one.

WALTER784

Dec-5

Then you're safe... you're not senile... (* LOL *)

Like I said... you probably never even seen one.

But that's what that lever was for and I actually used it a couple of times for emphasis in red.

Note: It was OK to use red back then. (* GRIN *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

Yes, red was a proper color. Now it’s a triggering color. Although I would like to know percentages of how many children and teenagers were traumatized by red ink.

WALTER784

Dec-5

Showtalk said...

Although I would like to know percentages of how many children and teenagers were traumatized by red ink.

Probably only a small minority, but as it's been publicized in the news, many who aren't traumatized would probably lie and said they were!

FWIW

Edited to add: [Over 50 years and nobody triggered... then all of a sudden... in the midst of the offended over everything crowd... it suddenly becomes triggering or offending?]

• Edited December 6, 2021 12:00 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Dec-6

It’s all tied up in the culture.  It started out as a good idea about the time we took a stand against bullying.  But it morphed into being offended by just about anything.  There are legitimate complaints and there are ridiculous ones.