Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever used a manual typewrite...   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Dec-3 by WALTER784; 1970 views.
Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

I don’t remember a 2 color ribbon on any typewriter.

WALTER784

Dec-5

My Dad had one. And that picture I showed you was the type of ribbon in his typewriter.

I won't go as far as saying you're growing senile... (* ROFLMAO *) but perhaps you've just never seen one.

And that's what that red/black lever was for... to raise or lower the ink ribbon to print in red or black.

FWIW

• Edited December 5, 2021 10:36 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

As I said I never had a manual typewriter and my family did not have any type when I was a child. They never needed one.

WALTER784

Dec-5

Then you're safe... you're not senile... (* LOL *)

Like I said... you probably never even seen one.

But that's what that lever was for and I actually used it a couple of times for emphasis in red.

Note: It was OK to use red back then. (* GRIN *)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-5

Yes, red was a proper color. Now it’s a triggering color. Although I would like to know percentages of how many children and teenagers were traumatized by red ink.

WALTER784

Dec-5

Showtalk said...

Although I would like to know percentages of how many children and teenagers were traumatized by red ink.

Probably only a small minority, but as it's been publicized in the news, many who aren't traumatized would probably lie and said they were!

FWIW

Edited to add: [Over 50 years and nobody triggered... then all of a sudden... in the midst of the offended over everything crowd... it suddenly becomes triggering or offending?]

• Edited December 6, 2021 12:00 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Dec-6

It’s all tied up in the culture.  It started out as a good idea about the time we took a stand against bullying.  But it morphed into being offended by just about anything.  There are legitimate complaints and there are ridiculous ones.

WALTER784

Dec-6

But it still doesn't change that red & black ribbons were used in manual typewriters and that there was a specific lever with a black and red tab to change the color of the ribbon when typing on certain manual typewriters long before red became offensive!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-6

You are right about that.

Oldgal56

Dec-28

Thanks Walter784!  My head said, Yuck! I learned how to type on electric and manual. I was never a fast typiest.