Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Missing news   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Dec-7 by Showtalk; 353 views.
WALTER784

Dec-8

LASD whistleblower files lawsuit claiming retaliation, racial discrimination

By Gina Silva
Published December 7, 2021 1:16PM

LOS ANGELES - For most of her 26-year career, Lt. Sidra Sherrod-Strong has had an impeccable record with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department — but she says after becoming a whistleblower, the department placed her under investigation. 

"I think it was intimidation… ‘We need to just shut her up, we don't want her talking about anything,’" said Sherrod-Strong. 

Through the years, Lt. Sherrod-Strong has held numerous positions ranging from patrol, recruit training and most recently Commander of the Food Services Unit. 

"I was selected to command a unit that covered 60 plus locations all over LA County and we did food preparation or service all over Los Angeles, reaching not only our kitchens but also county contracts with 35 contract cities and also providing food to our 23 station jails," she explained.

However, Sherrod-Strong says the food services unit has had serious problems for years and it has led to inmates being fed spoiled food. She showed FOX 11 a photo of the bread that was given to 3,000 inmates on more than one occasion.

"The bread was moldy and should never have gone out served as a meal in any way form or fashion," said Sherrod-Strong. 

The incidents were reported and so was the manager who was allegedly aware of the spoiled food before it was served to the inmates, but Sherrod-Strong said nothing was done about it. 

"I was numb and then honestly I was disgusted," she told FOX 11.

Then, in October of 2019, Sherrod-Strong said $15 million suddenly disappeared from the unit’s budget.

"It was shocking, it was a little scary because I'm entrusted with $30 million, now $15 million of that is gone," she said. 

Four months later, the $15 million reappeared. Sherrod-Strong claims she later learned the department was hiding funds because the Board of Supervisors was cutting the budget. 

LASD whistleblower files lawsuit claiming retaliation, racial discrimination (foxla.com)

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-8

It’s possible but the story Sidra related is that $15 million out of $30 million went missing.  She was blamed and fired. Then the money was found hidden in another area and was moved back. Her husband Lieutenant Strong, is running for Chief against Villanueva.

I decide to search again just now and the story finally broke online today.  She wasn’t actually fired, she was transferred but basically lost the job she had.

https://www.davisvanguard.org/2021/12/la-county-sheriff-whose-spouse-running-for-sheriff-files-retaliation-and-race-discrimination-complaint-alleging-lasd-served-rotten-food-to-inmates/

Showtalk
Host

Dec-8

Yes! That’s it. I see that one came out yesterday afternoon.

Having read a little bit about Villaneuva and the election, I get the sense people don't like him, is this so? I looked at his record and from an accomplishment standpoint he's instituted some pretty substantial policing reforms.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-8

He has but it’s political. He’s also done things they don’t like. I’m not convinced he’s fine the corrupt things he’s accused of.  Hard to prove.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-8

Here is the real issue.  The Democratic Party got him elected. Then they tried to jerk him around and make demands, which he refused to bend to unless he agreed with it. So they abandoned him to show him they could get rid of him.  He is now aligned with Republicans but they don’t all support him because of his previous ties. So he may be ousted.  He has strong competition.

Yeah, this is one of the articles I came across.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-8

He may have done that to avoid losing officers. Many of them refuse to be vaccinated. They have already had Covid,