Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you think about the Biden’s new puppy and rehoming Major?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 12/21/21 by Showtalk; 6598 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

12/30/21

Poodles need training. They are active dogs. I just got scratched by one when I tried to say hello.  She ran up my leg. 

WALTER784

12/30/21

I think that just about all animals that we keep as pets need training.

But the bigger the animal, the more ferocious they can be and thus the larger the animal, the more meticulous training would be required. (i.e. an elephant vs a hamster, a Great Dane vs a parakeet, a horse vs a poodle, etc.)!

FWIW

DW (GSDogwalker)

12/30/21

That is correct. I don’t want to get off the topic of Biden and his dogs.  He and Jill love their pets. They are careless owners.  If the dog is trained then the real owner is the main handler.  It sounds like a staged photo op to boost poll ratings.

WALTER784

12/31/21

As for careless owners... yes... I think that description fits them fairly well.

Commander seems to be trained a bit better. I wonder if Major ever bit any of their family members?

But I don't think that a staged photo op will do much to improve his ratings. He needs to do something more than just pose for a picture to get his ratings up.

FWIW

selzer

12/31/21

I've probably already said enough about it.  We don't know if Major had a terrible temperament, weak nerves, or just a aggressive streak that could be managed with training and leadership, mental and physical exercise, and proper socialization.  We don't know.  But first on my list for German Shepherds is Management.  

My List (in order)

Management

Leadership

Training

Exercise

Socialization. 

I harp a lot about these.  You can't do a lot about temperament if your dog has weak nerves, and is prone to bite if pressed.  I mean, if you zap a scared dog with an e-collar, you are likely to get an even more scared dog.  But if you zap a dog with good nerves but just full of himself, or just not clear about negative markers, because all of his people are softies, and he thinks "No." means "maybe, yeah... ok"  that actually may work.  But if it is a temperament deal, you cannot necessarily change the weak temperament, but you can always MANAGE the dog and situations.  Therefore, there is no excuse for your dog biting 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, people in as many days.   Someone bright enough to run the country ought to be able to manage his own dog. 

Yeah, ok, so we've heard all the excuses, the dog was a shelter dog (that the Bidens had since a young puppy).  But there is no excuse for the lack of management.  I don't give a darn if the dog bites whenever it rains, or thunders, or sees guys with ball caps, or fill in the blank.  Once you know you have a dog that WILL bite, you make that an impossibility.  Ok, if the dog bites a vet or vet tech while they are handling them, and they know the dog WILL bite -- that is a special case.  That is not the case here.  I am just trying to find ANY scenario where they get off the hook.  (I'm not a Biden-fan or anything, I guess I am trying to foresee possible arguments and head them off at the pass. 

For an aged couple who both have high stress jobs with lots of travel, lots of society parties, visitors, insanity, to bring in another German Shepherd Puppy, that is just nuts.  I don't care if they have staff to walk the puppy and clean up his dukey.  Don't matter.  They have no business getting another GSD until they are retired from the White House, and probably by then, they STILL have no business getting a breed where the normal temperament requires management, leadership, training, exercise, and socialization, or the dog will LIKELY bite people.  If the dog doesn't have leadership, he will take on the leadership position and likely bite people -- not his fault.  If the dog is not trained, probably going to bite people -- not his fault.  If the dog is not given and mental and physical outlet, may very well bite people -- maybe not his fault.   If the dog is not socialized, will probably bite people.  

I have a dog with a "proper" GSD temperament.  He sired service dogs and a police K9.  He will bite people.  So far, he is perfectly fine when I am with him.  Because he trusts me.  I might nick his nads anyway, because that boy is too big for his britches sometimes.  But somewhere between leadership and training a bond between you and your dog ought to develop.  This is why having staff or a professional trainer for the pup is not a good idea.  The dog needs to have confidence in his owners.  When he is with his owners, he should not feel the need to bite ordinary people doing their ordinary thing.  What the heck good is a bond with a professional trainer?  And yet the GSD site is filled with people so blinded by their liberal democrat nonsense that what they say to everyone else, just doesn't apply,  

They tell a college student to wait and not get a puppy until they are more settled.  They tell folks who want a "watered down" GSD to get a golden or a lab and leave the GSDs for experienced people.  

Now, Commander looks like either a West German Showline or an American Bred dog.  I only got a quick look at him, but he doesn't look working line at all.  Maybe he will not be biting people.  Maybe.  I think it is the height of irresponsibility to bring in a German Shepherd Puppy after the mess with Major.  Maybe he was too weak-nerved to handle life at the WH, but there's just no excuse for the dog to bite person after person after person -- that is on the owners.  And I wouldn't have sold them a puppy.  And I sell to dems, I sell to people getting up there in age, It is not about whether or not I like people's politics, etc, it is about what is right for this dog, right here, right now.  The Bidens are not right for ANY dog right here and right now.  They certainly are not right for an intelligent, active, working dog, bred to work with humans and to work sometimes without humans, to obey and sometimes to not obey what their human tells them, to think and solve problems. 

Showtalk
Host

12/31/21

Your first post got stuck in moderation but it’s here now. Welcome!  Thank you. 

Showtalk
Host

12/31/21

I never like to say anyone is to old for a German Shephard but at some time they should switch breeds, get an older, easier dog with a proven history or skip the dog altogether. I love German Shepherds so it’s not the dog, it’s them. That’s an excellent post. Thank you. And I apologize for the confusion.  First posts always go to the queue.  That way all the ads and spam we get never ends up on the board.

DW (GSDogwalker)

12/31/21

Thank you so much for posting!  As an intro for those who don’t know you, you are a breeder and you have about a dozen German Shepherds. You breed dogs with stable temperaments that are not nervebags and you have a lot of repeat customers. Your dogs have become K9s and have titled in various sports and skills.  

Is Major a WL?  I agree with you on everything you said.  It is sad you can’t post that to a German Shepherd community.  There was no excuse for more than 1 bite.  I’ve had three dogs that bit people.  One bit me and it was my own fault and I made darned sure it never happened again.  The others were rescued dogs and could not tolerate certain things.  Once I found out what those were, they were never in a position to bite anyone again. Never!  One was a foster I gave up to a very quiet home.  The other was my rescue who went after an idiot who went after him first.  It wasn’t his fault, but I could not let him bite anyone.  So he was managed.  No more idiots were allowed near him.  At the vet he was Aced and muzzled. They don’t use Ace anymore but it was a wonder drug for a fear biter.

Anyone who rescues a German Shepherd dog should understand the concept of management.  it’s so simple. If a dog has triggers, don’t set the dog up to fail by exposing him to those triggers over and over again. Major was set up to fail and he did. Over 8 times!

Biden is supposed to be the leader of our country.  A leader should have enough competence to handle a dog. With dogs a lot of it is demeanor.  If the owner projects strength the dog knows it.

WALTER784

12/31/21

Thank you for that post.

It makes quite a lot of sense too.

A dog basically does as they're trained. And if/when they don't it's for a very good reason.

I've been around dogs all my life. Hunting blood hounds, Heintz 57 variety mix, poodles, you name it. And, I'm born in the year of the Chinese dog (1958) to boot.

I taught my mother's poodle how to differentiate between a yellow, green, blue and red ball (even though they're supposedly color blind). Taught her how to sit, roll over, shake left and right paw, and numerous other tricks. She wasn't a dog... she was extended family.

Then, in 1987, I bought my own home and wanted a dog. Nearby neighbor had pups they were giving away shortly after we moved into our new home and got one. She was the best dog I ever had... even better than my mom's poodle. And she too was an extended family member and not a dog.

But in her 14 years of life, she bit two people. One didn't even break the skin and the other was just a slight skin breakage, but both baffled me to the max because I was her trainer.

We had 3 boys, oldest two had more than 30 friends of theirs over to our house and all of them played in our front yard right around our dog. She never bit any of them. Our 3rd son also invited 12 or more friends to play in front of our house for several years and she never bit any of them either.

Then, all of a sudden, one kid was bitten but the skin was not broken. Their parents notified us, and we profusely apologized over the matter. But on further thinking/examination as to why our dog lightly bit their child without breaking the skin, we determined that a further investigation was required. More than 40 kids had played at our house and our dog bit none of them. Only this one boy. But the skin was not broken either (i.e. a mild warning). After a few days of deliberation, and talking with our 3rd son about the matter, a few strange things came to mind. We called the parents of the child that was lightly bitten and asked if we could question him directly about what happened that day that our dog bit him. End results were that the boy who got bit admitted (in front of his parents) that he was actually antagonizing our dog and not just once, but on several occasions. In the end, that kid's parents apologized to us for their kid's misbehavior!

The second person she bit was the people who lived across the street from us... since moved... this time, there was just a slight skin break, but no hospitalization required what so ever. Again, I deeply inquired into why our dog bit him and the following was discovered.

He walked up to our front door and rang our door bell (but it happened to be when we were not at home). He wanted to tell us something but because we were not at home, he returned to his home across the street. Our dog was on a leash and could not reach our front door but she barked as he approached as he's somebody she didn't know. He too, later admitted that he was afraid of dogs. Had he just left our front door and walked back to his own house across the street... nothing would have happened. He didn't have to come near our dog but because he hated dogs he instead of just leaving like he should have, he kicked his foot at our dog and that's when she bit him. He could have walked around her without being bitten but approached her directly and kicked at her!

That too was resolved quickly, he apologized... but getting back to the topic of this thread... dog's usually have a reason to bite or... if they bite randomly, they're not properly trained.

I never trained our dog to bite, but she... in her own loving, happily playing with 32 or more friends of our kids determined that biting was necessary on those two occasions, and I never scolded her for it because I don't think her judgement was wrong.

FWIW

• Edited December 31, 2021 1:45 pm  by  WALTER784
WALTER784

12/31/21

I don't think the age of either the owner or the age of the dog needs to be called into play what so ever.

Dogs of all species will love their owners if loved in reciprocity. And if the dog loves their owner, they will do as their owner instructs them.

And that regardless of age of owner or dog or species of the dog!

Either you're the alpha male or you're not! And note... alpha male doesn't necessarily mean the man of the house... but the one the dog respects more!

FWIW