Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Swingspeed Radar - progress report.   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Aug-3 by BOGEYSBGONE; 2265 views.
In reply toRe: msg 22
BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-13

Update:  new personal record for speed (per se):  101 mph

Found some more swing speed:  after my warmup from a cold-start is still:  1) starting from absolutely cold; and 2) taking 10-15 warm up swings.  3) then measure 5-10 swings on the 2nd Swing Speed radar.  My original average was 70 when I started this project.    My current average is mid/high 80s - probably in the 85-88 range.   This is notable b/c I think I found another swing feel that actually helped me to produce additional speed.     With this swing cue - my average speed has increased; and my top speed hit a new high:  101 mph. That is not a controlled swing - that is a max speed swing.  First time I have hit 100 or higher.  First step - hopefully I can do it again and again later.

What's the additional swing cue?   Simple (I think) - from the top of the swing, my focus is to get my hands over my left shoulder as quickly as I can - but following Mike Bender's Wall Drill.   It is eye opening b/c I had thought that "hands over the left shoulder" happens so late in the swing, I did not realize that it could actually increase club head speed through the ball.  But it sure seems to - and it's easy to do - so I thought I'd share.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGPadfqn50d There  are like 6 videos in this clip - you have to hover and click the "arrow" in the mid section of the video screen.  The "aha moment" was in video/slide 3 and 4.     What it actually feels like to me is a slightly modified topspin backhand (for left side pullers) or a modern forehand (for right side hitters).  But but my focus is now the "over the shoulder" move; rather than "through the impact zone" - and it's pretty cool.  The proof is the added speed.  I will wait to try this on the course to see what's what.  From what it sounds like, I assume I will be able to hit a high hook - and then can dial it back.   Anxious to see what happens.

Over the last 4-5 rounds - I am hitting about 11-12 fairways per round, with an average total distance around 195+    I am focusing on a consistent feel - that produces a predictable ball flight.   I am not focusing on hitting it as hard as I can - my routine is to take a practice swing at 100%; then a swing at 50% and then take a real swing somewhere in between...and presently want to feel like I am "throwing a sidearm throw".

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Oct-18

195+ off the tee?  From what I saw on a video years ago, you should be able to hit it 240 off the tee with a 95mph swing.  Obviously I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be.  But like some, I'm eligible to run for President now.

Dave P

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-18

Yep - but my angle of attack, and power leaks negate all that stuff.  My fastest so far is 101; but I can't reproduce that on the tee box AND control it.....yet.  :)  I want a "playable swing speed) of 90+ and I'd be pretty happy.   Anecdotally - I played again today for the 3rd time in 4 days - all sore and crappy swing - but I was getting total distance over 200 on 10 out of 14 holes - long drive was 260 (hill/wind/bounce assisted).  So far - pretty happy.  I assume my playing swing speed is mid to high 80s, and maybe low 90s.   

Almost there.

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Oct-19

You need to quit leaking obviously.

Dave P

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-19

Agree - it comes down to swing changes that produce speed - and whether I can make them feel natural for me.  

I'm glad that I can swing it faster - per se.  I'm thrilled with 101.  That solves a big problem with my ego - "can I generate speed per se anymore" - yes.  Then - can I generate that speed efficiently and on-the course?  I already accept that my playing-speed will generally be 10-15 mph slower (as verified by distances on-course).  In a word - my playing-speed is "how confident am I that I can carry a hazard at 210 yards..."    While 101 x 2.4 = 242 yards.... truth is that I am confident to carry the ball about 195 (195/2.4 = about 81 mph).   My goal is to get a playable/controllable/confident speed of about 90 (90x2.4 = 215ish and then probably about 10 of roll - 225 reliable driving distance).   At that distance - I can play almost every distance from red white or blue tees, or blend.    But at 70 mph (70x2.4 = 168 carry + 10 roll = 180ish) - I don't even need a driver (I hit my 5 iron almost as far - and definitely straighter) - so I decided to validate my driver and speed.

Generating the speed "any way possible" is one thing.  Now I'm trying to get produce it comfortably in a method/technique that I can repeat naturally.    Fixing the power leaks (my big ones are "double slide" and casting) I can do on the range - but not reliably on the course yet....but it's getting better.   

I've played a bunch lately - and anecdotally - my total-driving distance Saturday was about 225.  But on Sunday it was about 205; and on a critical testing holes I had to swing harder - to come close to carrying the hazards of 195.  

But swing is getting better and more reliable - and faster.  Will continue to work on it over the off-season.   Found 2 or 3 things that add speed - whether or not I slide or cast.  So that's neat.  :)

...and there you go.  :)

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Oct-19

You are like JLO 15 years ago.  He's been working on his speed as well lately after a several year hiatus.  I think you're both heading in the right direction.  I'm glad I don't have your problem.  Now accuracy is another matter.

Dave P8

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-21

While it's not at optimal speed yet - I have decided to focus on the following swing feels - and incorporate these - and work on conditioning etc. to improve the following:*** for me this is a left side focused swing.  It's what I've always done.

1) relaxed and easy backswing - focused on making sure I complete my backswing.  Left shoulder under chin, feels a little higher than an 3/4 swing; make sure the club falls into a hinged position.  **Feel like I am setting up "behind the left shoulder"  Soft wrists and grip.  Definitely feel like I am loading and snapping a whip/towel - starting the downswing as my hands and arms are moving in opposite direction.

2)"timing pause" at the end of the backswing (I don't actually stop)

3) let the left heel come up (helps to turn fully).  Left knee also bends/squats....VERY important.    At this time I feel very connected/stretched from my left heel up through my leg and torso and left arm

4) Start the downswing by "squashing the bug" or driving the left heel like a spike into the ground which causes me to "jump up" with my left side.  I don't know why but my swing picks up speed 2-3 mph simply by doing that.

Very easy to generate 85-88 mph and fairly easily.    That's at least 200-210 yards carry.    I will work on conditioning and hopefully increase the speed to 90+    But am really happy with my experiment.

Thanks for listening - hope it helped some of you.

Robb

In reply toRe: msg 29
BOGEYSBGONE

Nov-4

Well that didn't last very long - too competitive! 

Made a slight modification that is easier to swing - and less leg action: driver is now around 96 mph on SSR but feels really easy.

1) easy backswing - make sure to turn my back to the target/shoulder under chin/rib cage pointed at ball.

2) feel the weight of the clubhead in your right hand.

3) feel like you are swinging/pulling/throwing the clubhead "down" outside/behind your right (trail) foot.

4) make sure to extend your arms at the bottom of the swing and feel the "crack of the whip"

I practice this with a speed-trainer - the Orange Whip LightSpeed trainer.  You could probably just use a driveway marker or a shaft without a grip - but the LightSpeed trainer has some weight to it and it feels more like real club with a super light "head" on it.   It really helps to speed up the arms...which is the main powersource I am finding.  I can swing this to about 92-93 mph...basically all torso and arms.

Then add:

1) ground force pressure - on the backswing press down into the ground with your right foot

2) torque your body so that you feel a connected stretch.

3) squash the bug and rotate your belly button to the target.

Add it all up - an easy feeling mid-90s swingspeed with driver!  No stress on the shoulders, arms or back!  Much better than I as hoping for!

Robb

Robb,

Those distances are about what I would expect to see with 85-92 MPH clubhead speed using the driver.  I am at about 94 - 97 MPH, and I get around 230-235 yards of carry with no wind or altitude assistance.  My best drives these days at close to 72 years old get out there to 265 yards or slightly more, but that includes a bit of rollout on firmer fairways.  I play on a winter golf tour, and this week we had our opening tournament.  Fairways were slightly damp, so we were getting very little run with our tee shots, particularly early in the day, and I was hitting my best drives about 235-245 yards, including what little roll I got.  Late in my round, after things warmed up and the fairways dried out a little, I did connect on a couple of drives that went more than 255 yards with a bit more roll after they landed.

I see golfers who generate high 80s to low 90s clubhead speeds getting about 215 yards on their better drives, and more like 200-205 yards on average drives, so you are right in the ballpark if you are swinging at close to 90 MPH.

In reply toRe: msg 31

By the way, at 90 MPH clubhead speed, your driving distance should max out at 225 yards of carry, and that would be with perfect contact (maximized "smash factor").