Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

#1 reason why any mask is beneficial.   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Sep-8 by IDANO; 928 views.
IDANO

Sep-8

They prevent a person from touching their nose and mouth.

Change my mind.

In reply toRe: msg 1
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-8

IDANO said...

They prevent a person from touching their nose and mouth.

Change my mind.

I am not trying to argue or change your mind.    I think that is a good reason to wear a mask.  However, IMO the primary reason is to reduce the snot-cloud velocity from "you" to "me".    In such a case of an infected person sneezes or coughs - an unsuspecting person could walk through the cloud or vapor trail and have unprotected eyes (you're not wearing a facemask or sealed goggles are you?) infected without you actually touching them.   Wearing a mask retards the size and velocity and spread of the cloud - to reduce the impact on passers-by.   Americans think the masks are there to protect them from getting sick.    Again - that only makes sense regarding the nose - but your eyes are still generally uncovered.

Robb

Turns out surface transmission is negligible. Masks are the equivalent of the old get under your desk during a nuclear strike. Same level of effectiveness.
To quote John McEnroe, you cannot be serious. I don’t think I’ve ever been any place where I was concerned about people sneezing or coughing snot clouds. If I didn’t know better I would guess you made a troll post. A good quality one.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-8

ToraMori said...

To quote John McEnroe, you cannot be serious. I don’t think I’ve ever been any place where I was concerned about people sneezing or coughing snot clouds. If I didn’t know better I would guess you made a troll post. A good quality one.

I'm very serious.  It makes sense to me.    I have never believed the American rationale for wearing a mask (personal protection/filtration) as much as the Japanese rationale.  But I've been married to a Japanese person for a long time....she 'splained me a bunch.  :)

Cold and Flu season hits Japan there every year just like the US - correct?  And people who are sick always ride the trains every day to/from work and are literally jam-packed together.  If masks were personal protective gear - Japanese would wear them 24/7 as a defense against germs 24/7.   There is nothing genetically better about the Japanese and their ability to fight colds and flus.

By the same token - then why DO people wear masks over there during cold and flu season?  It's b/c if they are sick - it is done as a courtesy to others  - and they want to reduce the spread of their germs to others.  It is also a warning to others "I am sick - stay away".   B/c of course - taking a sick day is out of the question in Japan.  

Robb

Pollution from China and pollen are a factors. I think mandatory TB vaccine going back to the 1940s is a factor for the relatively mild CV spread in Japan.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Sep-9

Japanese remind me of Howard Hughes.  And my step daughter.  She's a sanitizer freak.  And she gets sick more than anyone I know.  

Dave P

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Sep-14

Mind you Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries pretty much don't use masks.  For the most part it's just tourists.  Estimated 5-10% mask usage.

Dave P

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-15

I've observed them for the last 25 years almost.   Most Americans would love Japan - as long as they remain a visitor.   In terms of civility - they are the asian version of the British.   They think of the collective population as much if not MORE than themselves.

It is a mindset that hasn't often been necessary in the US - and Americans simply don't think that way.  In terms of Covid - they are probably MORE restrictive in day to day life in terms of masks....but without forcing people to do it.   They just tell people to be polite and considerate of others; and themselves...and people generally comply and wear the mask.  But their numbers are also potentially not being reported.  But I think in major part - if you ask people to do something like "help against spread of Covid by doing X, Y, and Z" - they will do it b/c it makes sense - without feeling that they are being personally attacked.   Less drama.  My wife and daughter report that life in Tokyo is about normal and they have more relative freedom than here in DC...so the move for them has been good overall.

In terms of business or laws - they are more ruthless and harsh.   Women aren't considered equal; human rights don't really apply to anyone who does not hold a Japanese passport.  If you're not Japanese - frankly - you don't matter.   Most of the freedoms that liberals take for granted and claim are being impinged - simply wouldn't see the light of day in Japan.   They won't openly tell you "no" - they just will ignore you and distract you.  And if you become the cranky-American - they pretend they don't understand - giving them the excuse to simply stand right in front of you and be silent.   LOL   At least they are not Singapore.

Robb