Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What would these jabronis shoot?   Golf talk

Started Sep-19 by NineMileSkid; 262 views.
NineMileSkid

Sep-19

What would be the average score around Winged Foot this week if the field was forced to play with Titleist Professionals, muscle back irons, and Persimmon drivers with steel shafts? I don't know if any of them could break 80. Sheesh guys, come on.

In reply toRe: msg 1
NineMileSkid

Sep-19

Beginning with his win at Oakmont on June 17, 1973, Miller embarked on one of the great - albeit brief - stretches of dominance golf has ever seen.

His career took off in 1974, when he led the TOUR in earnings and won eight tournaments, the most in a single season since Arnold Palmer in 1960. He followed up in 1975 with four more tournament wins, played in his first Ryder Cup, and partnered with Lou Graham to capture the World Cup of Golf. In that two-year stretch, Miller was arguably the hottest, if not the best, golfer in the world.

Miller capped his Hall of Fame career by winning the Open Championship in 1976 at Royal Birkdale Golf Club. He would finish his career with 25 PGA TOUR wins and earned Induction into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1998.

The story of Miller's greatest career achievement - shooting a final round 63 in the 1973 U.S. Open - is well-represented in the collection of the World Golf Hall of Fame & Museum. On display in the Major Moments exhibition are two of the clubs Miller used during the final round, his 3-iron and 9-iron. The 3-iron kick-started his historic round, as he used it to set up a five-foot birdie putt on the first hole. On the next hole, he barely missed an eagle using his 9-iron to set up a one-foot tap-in for birdie. Just like that, back-to-back opening birdies set the table for Miller's unprecedented run.

Visitors to the Hall of Fame can also see one of the MacGregor #3 Tourney golf balls used by Miller in the final round, as well as the gold championship medal presented to Miller during the awards ceremony.

Also within the collection are the rest of the clubs in Miller's bag during the U.S. Open: his 1961 MacGregor Velocitized Tourney driver, a 1945 MacGregor Tommy Armour 3-Wood, a 1941 MacGregor Tommy Armour 4-Wood, an Acushnet Bullseye putter, and his set of 1945 MacGregor Tommy Armour (2-7) and 1972 Tourney Custom (8-PW) irons, including today's rarely seen 10-iron wedge.

Click on the link and see a picture of the driver Miller used.

http://www.worldgolfhalloffame.org/media-center/news-articles/johnny-millers-63-in-1973/

Compared to today, the fascinating thing about his bag is that 8 of his clubs were about 30 years old. Only the 8, 9 and wedge were even from 70s.

I'll guess there isn't anyone in this year's field with more than a putter or fairway wood that's 5+ years old.

In the 70s if you could find a good MacGregor driver from the 40s or Wilson sand wedge from the 30s, you had golf club gold.

Of course they would get to play from the yardages from back then as well...to be fair.

There wasn’t that much innovation in clubs from the 40s to the 70s. I used a Hogan 1953 replica persimmon driver for a number of years. I experimented with early Taylor Made steel metals but never switched to steel until the King Cobra. I kept my favorite Tony Pena persimmon 4 wood in the bag for a long time. That club set up a whole bunch of eagles for me.
Stoneded

Sep-20

I'm sure that given sufficient time to practice with this type of equipment, today's players would fare as well as yesteryear's.  After all, these guys are the best in the world.  No slouches.  The guys who come out of their shoes on the tee would probably be hurt the most.