Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Matt Wolf - can he do it? 100 yrs since   Golf talk

Started Sep-20 by BOGEYSBGONE; 919 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-20

100 years since Francis Ouimet wins US Open on his first try.   Can Matt Wolf do it?

I'll bet "yes".    It'd be neat to see.

My main reason why I think he can....no crowd.  He's just having to play the course.  Or with significantly less pressure IMO.

Who are you rooting for today?

Robb

NineMileSkid

Sep-20

Any American wins me cash.

In reply toRe: msg 1
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-20

Not even close.   

Robb

MikeJA

Sep-20

Doesn't seem right that a guy that hit 60 percent of his drives into the rough should be able to run away with a U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

In reply toRe: msg 4
RTee2

Sep-20

Why is that? He played the best golf over 4 days. Yesterday, Wolff only hit 2 of 14 fairways (or something like that) and still shot 65. Their strength and ability to judge how the rough affects the ball is amazing.

Someone said on Twitter, "I'd rather be in the rough with a short iron, than be in the rough with a mid or long iron." LOL.

In reply toRe: msg 5
MikeJA

Sep-20

I know I am on old guy out of touch with today's game, but I just don't like the way the golf's poobahs have let the equipment evolve to where players can hit 380 yard drives.  I admire the way Dechambeau has approached the game and worked his theories to his advantage, but once upon a time missing a fairway in a U.S. Open cost a stroke as often as not.

I live on a par 5 on a course that once held a few minor tour events back in the 1970's and 80's.  The average pro drive on my hole back then was about 260-265.  The course is essentially obsolete to today's big hitters.  There are few holes where the tees can be moved back.  I'm sure this is the case in a lot of courses around the country. 

In reply toRe: msg 5

And on one hole today when Wolff was in the FW, he basically chunked his approach.  Too funny.

In reply toRe: msg 6
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-20

MikeJA said...

I know I am on old guy out of touch with today's game, but I just don't like the way the golf's poobahs have let the equipment evolve to where players can hit 380 yard drives.  I admire the way Dechambeau has approached the game and worked his theories to his advantage, but once upon a time missing a fairway in a U.S. Open cost a stroke as often as not.

I live on a par 5 on a course that once held a few minor tour events back in the 1970's and 80's.  The average pro drive on my hole back then was about 260-265.  The course is essentially obsolete to today's big hitters.  There are few holes where the tees can be moved back.  I'm sure this is the case in a lot of courses around the country. 

It worked on every golfer except Bryson Dechambeau.  He's the only golfer under par.   Like Rory at Congo.   People look at the score of the winner and assume the course is easy.  It isn't.

Dechambeau sciences the crap out of things.   He said he's experimenting with 48" drivers this week - to try to hit is 370 or longer.  And he puts in the work.

This is like 20 years ago when all the courses tried to Tiger-proof their courses.   And it's the average guys like us that see it as threatening our game.

What can you do to all the pros to neutralize their game, but keep the conditions for ours?  I really don't know.   At the end of the day - I watch sports to see stuff that I can NOT do. 

I'm not arguing with you - but as dismayed as you.   My club is in the process of a remodeling of their course - and today's result has to get them to stop and say "..uh....what the heck...?"

I suppose the only thing you can do is make the course play to a 60 as par for the pros, even if it plays to a 70/72 for the ordinary people?  Reduce the powerfulness of the ball?  But if you mess with the equipment - I think selling a consumer-brand and a pro-brand would hurt the game?   I really don't know.

Robb

In reply toRe: msg 6
RTee2

Sep-20

I’d love it if they mandated a max clubhead volume of 200 cc and had a standard tour ball, something akin to the old Titleist 384. Today’s pros will still hit it a lot farther due to better mechanics and fitness, but mishits will be penalized much more than with today’s equipment. 

I think missing a fairway at Winged Foot cost many/most players half a stroke or more, so in some ways Wolff and Dechambeau are outliers who have the length and strength to manhandle the rough with short irons. 

In reply toRe: msg 9
MikeJA

Sep-20

I only watched the final round and did not pay much attention to anyone except the two leaders.  But looking at the scores, I guess the rough did penalize the others.  But I would guess the field was penalized less than half a stroke for drives in the rough.