Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can a shaft add clubhead speed?   Golf Equipment

Started Sep-22 by BOGEYSBGONE; 372 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-22

In my quest for speed per se - was wondering if a change of shaft can result in additional clubhead speed - irrespective of any other factors?    I understand that speed per se - does not mean "control".  I'm just asking about speed.

PURELY anecdotal results:  my swing speed is increasing I guess.  I swing 10 warm up swings per session to warm up.    Then I simulate my routine on the tee box - 2-3 practice swings - then swing and take a reading.   I take 3 readings. 

The clubs:

My current Gamer: Epic Flash 10.5 head - with a playing length of about 43.5"; Tensei Blue 60 grams - Reg-Flex (but cut down 2").   Average speed was 90.3.  Highest speed was 91

My previous gamer: Ping G 10.5 head - playing length of about 46" (but gripped down to 43.5"); Ping Alta 55 grams - Reg-Flex.  Average speed was 90.6.  Highest speed was 91.

Brand new concoction: Epic Flash 10.5 head - with a playing length of about 46" (but gripped down to 43.5"); Callaway Fubuki-something 50 grams -  A-Flex.  Average speed was 91.6.  Highest speed was 93  This was the easiest one to swing (felt whippiest) and it got the highest results.

Why was the A-flex faster?  Is it only b/c of the shaft?  I'm pretty sure I was gripping it at 43.5" (marked grips) 

Thanks for input.

Robb

BlkNGld1

Sep-22

You've probably heard the fitting adage that for many guys runs counter to their ego - "use the most flexible shaft you can control".  Theres a loading of the shaft that each of us looks for but is different based on how we swing.    If the shaft seems too stiff we tend to try to get that loading by swinging too hard too early and actually lose speed.    At the same time if the shaft is too flexible, we can try to find that feeling by slowing things down, usually late in the swing.   When you have the goldilocks shaft that syncs up with your swing and release, that's when good things happen, especially when it comes with center contact.

When you have that ideal shaft at impact your swing is working with the kick of the shaft to create the best clubhead speed.   Of course just because you've maxed the clubhead speed doesn't mean you've hit the straightest longest shot possible.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-22

BlkNGld1 said...

You've probably heard the fitting adage that for many guys runs counter to their ego - "use the most flexible shaft you can control".  Theres a loading of the shaft that each of us looks for but is different based on how we swing.    If the shaft seems too stiff we tend to try to get that loading by swinging too hard too early and actually lose speed.    At the same time if the shaft is too flexible, we can try to find that feeling by slowing things down, usually late in the swing.   When you have the goldilocks shaft that syncs up with your swing and release, that's when good things happen, especially when it comes with center contact.

When you have that ideal shaft at impact your swing is working with the kick of the shaft to create the best clubhead speed.   Of course just because you've maxed the clubhead speed doesn't mean you've hit the straightest longest shot possible.

Good analysis.   So in general - shafts don't offer "more speed" simply by changing?   I had thought that was the point of the Fujikura "Speeder" shafts - but not sure.

I've always thought the shaft's job was to present the head to the ball at impact...but that there are a bazillion other factors that could adversely impact solid-impact - other than the shaft. 

Thank you BnG.

Robb

BlkNGld1

Sep-22

You're partially there... what you say about the shaft's job isn't wrong.   But the ideal way to do that is dependent on how you swing.

For example, the Mizuno optimizer measures not just swing speed, but tempo and how and when you put load on the shaft to come up with its recommendations.   

But there's no shaft that will increase everyone's clubhead speed.   At least not yet.  

The job of marketing teams is often to take a product that can dramatically enrich the experience of a few in the target audience and imply that the majority will experience the same.

SwingBetter

Sep-22

The faster shaft is a bit lighter and entire club may be lighter. 

Also if a more flexible shaft is unloading more at impact, it will be faster.  While it unloads faster, the face could still be open or closed.  

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-22

Makes good sense- thank you.

Robb

garyt1957gt

Sep-23

By choking  up with the 46" shaft aren't you in fact counter weighting it with the 3" sticking out the end? Not sure if it works that way? Maybe get a 10 gram clevis pin and stick it in the end of the grip of your other driver and see if it makes a difference?

In reply toRe: msg 1

A shaft is needed to connect the clubhead with the grip, otherwise the clubhead cannot move by swinging the grip.