Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Honda CRV vs Rav4   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Sep-25 by Anderson (dmurph3); 542 views.
Anderson (dmurph3)

Sep-25

Gotta pick out a new mommy car for my daughter. She's giving up her Tacoma 4WD she got for her 16th in 2012. Thought we would stick with Toyota and go for the Rav4 but a quick stop at Honda really through a wrench in the works. CRV has lots of safety bells and whistles that I liked. Similar enough pricing. She likes them both. Anyone want to chime in if they have experience with these 2 cars either pro or con? Thanks for your time.
golftool

Sep-25

If safety is your jam, you should consider the Subaru Forester. Consistently the Top Pick by The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Also one of the consistently highest in reliability ratings and  resale value as well. A little research and a test drive might convince you to go with a Subaru.

flatstik (gregf82)

Sep-25

My wife has had a Forester for about 8 years.  Great vehicle, no problems at all.  

Bob (MULLYMAN)

Sep-25

Just treaded my 2005 Tacoma 4x4 (175k) on a 2015 RAV4 20k miles. The 2015 does not have all the safety features that the newer ones have. Back in September we were looking to replace my wife’s Lexus IS250. We looked at every small SUV, Lexus, Subaru, RAV4, Kia etc. she chose the Honda HRV, it was exactly what she was looking for and she loves it.

As to my RAV4; I drove one of these a number of years ago for 4 months waiting for Toyota to replace the rusted frame on the Tacoma. Only have the RAV4 for a month but between the gas mileage, great sound system and some of the other perks that the Limited has, I can’t complain.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Sep-25

Just got a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid.  Love it.  Probably has the same safety features that the Honda has.  From this video, I'd take the Toyota.

https://youtu.be/S_xwu4WhtxQ

Dave P

rew (REW37087)

Sep-25

cvt transmissions suck at about 70k

By my calculations, your daughter is 24.   Let the decision be hers. 

I have been Honda guy forever, always believed they were just a be more refined than the comparable Toyota (less plastic, nicer wheels, cloth, whatever).  And we currently have a 2017 CRV that my wife's drives.  It is the fuel injected base model.  It has returned 33.1 MPG for every gallon ever pumped into the tank.  I also find it easier to shop different Honda dealers as Toyota seems to have an unlimited number of packages for their cars compared to Honda.

All that said, they are both fine vehicles and she would be happy with either one IMO.

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-26

Anderson (dmurph3) said...

Gotta pick out a new mommy car for my daughter. She's giving up her Tacoma 4WD she got for her 16th in 2012. Thought we would stick with Toyota and go for the Rav4 but a quick stop at Honda really through a wrench in the works. CRV has lots of safety bells and whistles that I liked. Similar enough pricing. She likes them both. Anyone want to chime in if they have experience with these 2 cars either pro or con? Thanks for your time.

Not entirely what you're asking - but my wife was in a high speed collision between her 2018 Highlander and a Corolla (both Toyotas) at a suburban intersection - both cars were totaled - and both drivers literally were able to walk away.  So I am biased towards the Toyota.  That said we have no Toyotas as this time.   I'm in the market for a smaller Toyota - I test drove the Rav4 and Rav4 Hybrid.  I would get the Rav4 Hybrid b/c it appeals to me - but that's not what you're asking; and I'm waiting to test-drive the CRV Hybrid.  I think the fit and finish is better with Honda.  Both of those cars however are a little buzzy for me.  But in your case - the opinion should be your daughters/grandchild's.  One thing I might suggest:   Take a 'bucket' (safety seat) and a stroller and a backpack -  and have your daughter simulate trying to get all that stuff into and out of each car....that alone may make the decision...and nobody tests that in magazines or internet.  :)   It's sort of how guys look at "golf mobiles" - does the car fit 2 or 3 golf bags?  do I have to lay them sideways or slanted?  do I have to accommodate.    

I also break up safety into 2 different perspectives:  1) where your daughter is driving the projectile that can inflict injury onto others: both Toyota and Honda has autonomous lane correction/steering that on paper sound awesome - particularly if your daughter is a bad driver.  https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/lane-departure-warning-lane-keeping-assist-guide/  Honda had some complaints.  2) where your daughter needs protection against other drivers who are the projectile.  Almost none of the braking/steering/radar features protect against other cars from hitting your daughter.  But crumple zones and airbags and seat belts are still the best protection...check out NTSA's collision ratings on cars.

Last suggestion:  if you're the one buying the car - why not considering leasing it?   Then reassess after the end of the lease in 2-3 years and possibly lease a bigger vehicle?   By then - her kid/family will have grown?   She may likely need a bigger car and the Rav4 and CRV - particularly with more than one small kid can get small quickly.   There may also still be additional safety features that are introduced before 2022 (which I believe was the original deadline by the automakers).  If she's a potentially fertile Myrtle - I'd consider just getting a Highlander/Pilot.

Congrats on the grandchild and glad you have a good relationship with your daughter - nice dad.  

Robb

Tom0956i

Sep-26

we bought a used 2014 CRV base model about 4 years ago. It's an OK car. The transmission makes some funny noises and the gas mileage is unimpressive at not quite 22 mpg around town.

In reply toRe: msg 1

Both are much more effective than masks.