Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Roy Buchanan   Movies, TV, Art, Music, etc

Started Sep-26 by par61 (Lawnguyland); 433 views.
par61 (Lawnguyland)

Sep-26

The Master of the Telecaster. I was lucky to have gotten to see him a couple of times in a small club here on Long Island. 

Tom0956i

Sep-28

In the 70's a good friend of mine had a half brother who was several years older than us. This half brother was a big RG fan and turned us rock music newbs on to him. Him and Rory Gallagher.

• Edited September 28, 2020 7:23 am  by  Tom0956i
par61 (Lawnguyland)

Sep-28

Rory Gallagher was another favorite. He was incredible live.

Seems a lot of technically great musicians suck at actually writing songs that people want to listen to.  I have head of these two guys before, and have listened to their music, but I cannot name a single song or album they release.

par61 (Lawnguyland)

Sep-28

A lot of people listened to them when they were alive, and to this day as well. Just because they don’t limit themselves to writing songs that adhere to the three and a half minute standard commercial radio lives by, it doesn’t mean they don’t write good songs. It just means they aren’t  playing to a mass audience. 
I wonder who will still be talking about Ariana Grande or Katy Perry in 30 or 40 years?

Seriously...can you name 10 songs and 5 albums from each of them off the top of your head?  If you can, then I would say you are a die-hard fan, but I doubt the casual fan can, and for sure those of us who remember them by name only certainly cannot.  You could play one song from each and I probably could not tell you who was who. Of course I am not a die-hard fan, but back in the day I was into music pretty hard, and they were just a blip on my radar...heard them and that was enough for me.

Again, not saying they are not great technical musicians.  Not doubt they are.  Many here can add other borderline obscurel guitar players to that list.

And yeah, I get it...the musically ignorant masses do not define great musicians with their wallets, but IMO they do define for the most part songs that are good.

As for 3.5 minute songs...check out the songs on Jimi Hendrix's Axis Bold as Love and Are you Experienced.  Just a handful, 4 out of the total of 30 songs (I looked) are longer than 4 minutes.  I guess Jimi sucks it hard by your standard.

I agree about your AG and KP comment.  Most musics from the last 25 years won't stand the test of time.  However, back to RG and RB, my guess is very few people are talking about them today, aside from a few like this post (but I have no doubt you can find a FB page or other forum dedicated to them...probably as lively as this or the other golf forum).

par61 (Lawnguyland)

Sep-28

Luvpings (luvpings1) said...

I guess Jimi sucks it hard by your standard.

Not at all. But your narrow mindedness regarding other peoples taste in non "mainstream" music makes me think you do. Have a great day.

And here come the personal attacks....well done.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Seems a lot of technically great musicians suck at actually writing songs that people want to listen to.  I have head of these two guys before, and have listened to their music, but I cannot name a single song or album they release.

Can't people say the same thing about Beefheart or Zappa?