Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Iphone video - help/question? Mirroring   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Sep-29 by BOGEYSBGONE; 122 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-29

Have a "why does it do that" question.   This regards the functionality of an Iphone w/updated IOS.

Daughter sent me a couple of videos that she shot recently:   For purposes of discussion - she has a camera that is mounted on the back of the Iphone that faces "forward"; but there is also a camera behind the screen that you can use for "selfies".   She sent me 4 videos over the past week - from the same locale.

I noticed something weird - and hoping for an explanation

1) One video from the "forward" camera  - looks normal.  A storefront - has signage - and you can read the words left to right.  Normal.

2) one video she sent to me is from the selfie camera just talking to me and showing me something that interested her - I noticed that words on a familiar tee shirt of hers - and signage of a storefront appear backwards/mirrored - the letters are legible but the word appears 'backwards'. 

3) on another selfie camera video - she is seated in the passenger seat of the car - but on the wrong side.  Again it appears backwards/mirrored.  There is music in the background from the radio/car.

4) on a 4th and last selfie video - the words that appeared on a sign that she passed - are normal.  No other sounds that her talking.

She says that she has not changed any settings on her phone.

6) I tried a few videos at home with both cameras and on playback both look normal.  On the "selfie" camera - the words on a page look backwards.  But when I play it - it looks normal.

Question:  why does the Iphone do that?  

Robb

BlkNGld1

Sep-29

In the settings there is one for mirroring on the front (I prefer user-facing) camera.   Might also be on control center.

Despite what she says about not changing anything, it's probably good to check/compare those as a starting point just to eliminate that.  

There are times I've done the 'can you get a picture' thing where someone well intentioned changes a setting on the camera.    Also possible the defaut setting is different depending on model or it got changed by an OS update.   And there's always the accidental changing from an inadvertent touch of the screen.   

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-29

BlkNGld1 said...

In the settings there is one for mirroring on the front (I prefer user-facing) camera.   Might also be on control center.

Despite what she says about not changing anything, it's probably good to check/compare those as a starting point just to eliminate that.  

There are times I've done the 'can you get a picture' thing where someone well intentioned changes a setting on the camera.    Also possible the defaut setting is different depending on model or it got changed by an OS update.   And there's always the accidental changing from an inadvertent touch of the screen.   

She's 18 - so I am sure she is adept at selfies and photos.  The videos were sent by text - and the one that was weird was a link to Youtube.  

I think I found the answer - and it just boggles my mind - kinda cool if you think about it...   I called Apple - and they said that Youtube has some algorhythm that will flip the video automatically - if in the uploading(???) that Youtube senses "potentially copyrighted or trademarked" material.  The auto-flip (mirror image?) solves some potential copyright issues.

I had thought something was wrong with her phone.

But isn't that kinda neat - assuming Apple's explanation is true?   

Robb