Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

1970s music RIP Mac Davis/Helen Reddy   Non-Golf Folder (General)

Started Sep-30 by BOGEYSBGONE; 569 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-30

Same day - same age.  RIP Mac Davis and Helen Reddy.

Vividly remember them as some of the first musicians I kept hearing on AM radio!  Another fond memory of childhood.  RIP.

Robb

I remember them as a kid as well as my mom had some of their albums...and they were played on AM radio as you state...WDGY in The Twin Cities (cool kids just called it WeedGee).  They put out songs that both younger kids and their parents listened too.  IIRC Helen Reddy had more hits than Mac, but Mac's perm/mini afro made up for that!

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Mac Davis had his own show and was a mainstay on the talk shows for a while.  Helen was Ms. Woman's Lib at the time and also made the rounds of the talk shows for a couple of years before fading from sight.

Did Mac has any hits besides Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me?  I can't remember off-hand.  As for Helen, she was I am Woman and Delta Dawn, iirc.

Steve (STEVE13358)

Oct-1

Believe he had a song called "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me"  and another one - "Lord, It's Hard To Be Humble".

Don't forget "Angie Baby".  

Flipped on the TV this morning and it was on a  news channel.  They were doing a story of her death and were showing clips from her appearance on Midnight Special.  Never would have guessed that.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Oh yeah!  I remember that now.  Midnight Special had a wide range of artists on.

What was the show that ran on ABC that featured mostly rock concerts?  Came on late Friday or Saturday night.

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-1

Don Kirchner's Rock Concert?

Robb

One of my favorite Mac Davis songs is Texas in My Rearview Mirror.  He's from Lubbock Texas and in the last line of the song he says "And when I die you can bury me in Lubbock Texas in my Jeans."

Looks like he's getting his wish.

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

There was a show on ABC called In Concert that was originally produced by DK, so that may have been it.

i also thought there was a show called Rock Concert.