Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Got fitted - picked up 20 yards.   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Sep-30 by BOGEYSBGONE; 652 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-30

Yeahhhhhhhh!   Sometimes stuff works out!

Getting back into golf after a long layoff - swing speed way down; hitting driver like crap.  Finally got an appointment (and had time) to go see the club fitter at our golf course - and it was time and money well spent (or will be).   I was hitting a 10.5 degree Callaway Epic Flash; with a Callaway recomended Tensei Blue/Reg flex cut down to a 43.5" playing length.   Previous shaft was longer and was hitting it all over the place.  Got it cut down to improve center face contact - but although the flight straightened out - I didn't gain distance for most swings - and I found I had to swing it harder and harder just to get some flex in the shaft - crazy.  Started to swing harder and harder and of course...started to spray the ball left and right.    Thought maybe it was the shaft - and - IT WAS!!!!   LOL

Got fitted for - of all things - a different version of the stock OEM Callaway shaft  Project X Evenflow/Riptide - Green?? 50 or 55 gram at standard length - was the ticket.   So happy.

Went from hitting it 175 carry/190-200 total distance- and with the new shaft I was averaging about 196 carry.   He increased the loft to 11.5 degrees to raise my launch angle; Then he gave me a little lesson about rotating rather than sliding - and I popped a couple of them out there 212 carry with total of 230+ (total distance).  I can play that!!!!   I can feel the shaft load and unload...feels like a spring again!  Boiiiiiinggggggg!   :-)    I reinstalled the Tensei Blue and wow did that feel like swinging a 2x4...no bend at all!  I'll shitcan that as soon as the new shaft arrives!

Anyways - if you're not sure - go see a fitter!

Robb

golftool

Sep-30

Hey, Remember me? The guy who's been giving you all those SWEET deals on golf balls? Maybe you'd like to return the favor by making me an offer on the Tensei Blue, as long as its an R shaft.

Shoot me an email showing me some love, okay? smile

BOGEYSBGONE

Sep-30

Email sent - with caveats.  If you want it - it's yours once I get the new shaft.  Cool?

Check your email!  :)

Robb

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Sep-30

Congrats man.  I hope this sticks.

I am getting a new shaft for my epic SZ...an Aldila 2kx nv green at 44.5" long.  It checks a lot of boxes for me and should be a good fit.

I swung a golg club 5 times at Edwin Watts.  I made a 50% speed swing....no pain.

I am going to go hit balls next week.

So back to standard 45.5" length?  My experiment with a shorter driver in summary was encouraging at first but mixed results overall and I am back to standard Callaway length in my recently acquired Mavrik Max driver (though I did give my shortened Smoke shaft an audition in that head...it was not good at all).  And coincidently, that shaft is the stock 50 gram Riptide.

Is that 11.5* the loft of the head..or just a +1 on the hosel adjustment?

Ironically, I was taking with two guys yesterday who have went through all the PGA type training, and they were both of the position that if you shorten your driver, you need to up the loft (actual loft...not adjusted) unless your swing speed is pretty high. Analogy was how slow swings just don't do well with the lower lofted irons..even though they are very short compared to a driver.  Made sense to me on the surface.

Tom0956i

Oct-1

You were fitted for a shaft that is two inches longer than the one you've been using?

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-1

Self-fitted for the first version of the driver. 

My 45.5" Ping G/G400Max/Cally GBB were all going haywire with no control but total distance was in the 190s to low 200s - but "everywhere".  Drove me crazy.   Couldn't get an apointment fast enough with my club's fitter, or the fitter down the street - so I had the bright idea to do a "self-fitting"  LOL and I'd buy "best combo driver head/shaft" of Epic Flash + Tensei Blue - and then since I'm a f'ing knowitall - I decide to cut it 2" to give me more control.  Sometimes I'm too stupid to live. 

It worked for a while b/c I was honeymooning on the control - b/c it was basically now a 4 wood length with a driver head.    Ball would fly lower, more penetrating; and straighte....but it was on dry hard fairway - that's great - the ball rolls a bunch.  Was out to about 200+   But then as it got wet and wetter - the ball rolled about 10 yards max - and my total driving distance was about 175-185.   I can hit a hybrid 175 so why do I need the driver?  To gain distance I decided to swing harder - and harder and harder - so it started to negatively affect my swing- and my irons and wedges went everywhere.  

So I decided to try to get properly fit - and stayed patient (took 10 days to get an appointment) and finally got fitted by our club's pro to a better shaft/same head.

All better now....for now...   :)

Robb

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-1

Luvpings (luvpings1) said...

So back to standard 45.5" length?  My experiment with a shorter driver in summary was encouraging at first but mixed results overall and I am back to standard Callaway length in my recently acquired Mavrik Max driver (though I did give my shortened Smoke shaft an audition in that head...it was not good at all).  And coincidently, that shaft is the stock 50 gram Riptide.

Is that 11.5* the loft of the head..or just a +1 on the hosel adjustment?

Ironically, I was taking with two guys yesterday who have went through all the PGA type training, and they were both of the position that if you shorten your driver, you need to up the loft (actual loft...not adjusted) unless your swing speed is pretty high. Analogy was how slow swings just don't do well with the lower lofted irons..even though they are very short compared to a driver.  Made sense to me on the surface.

I bought the club with a shortened Tensei Blue 60 or 65.  Turns out it was just too stout or stiff.    It's an old head (Epic Flash) with the newer version of its OEM shaft (Riptide 5.5 50 gram) that comes with your Maverick.   He cranked up the head to +2/N setting on the hozel.    I also tried a 12.5 Maverick head....but it looked funny to me.

Shaft should be sent by end of week - hopefully gets here sooner than 10 days.  Have a chance to play in Philadelphia area and Pittsburgh area next week....might have to just bring an oldie but goodie in the Ping G.  :) I was ready to just buy a Callypreowned driver - remove the shaft and sell the head - so that I could get the shaft faster.  I'm crazy.

Just glad that I don't have to worry or think about "is it the equipment or me?" for a little while.   I loved the feel of the Riptide - I think my swing is the one that Cally must use for it's model - some of my best drivers are all Callaways and several have the stock shaft in them.

Robb

Tom0956i

Oct-1

Robb:

Don't you think you've picked up some yardage (if not most of it) from the extra 2"?

tom

SwingBetter

Oct-1

Extra length and more flex helps with yardage, especially if you can hit the sweet spot.   

DeCham.. will have a lot of us trying a longer Driver.