Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stop all the damn testing   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Oct-22 by yotsubishi (ToraMori); 2129 views.

Unless it's absolutely necessary.

https://hubpages.com/politics/Pfizer-Chief-Science-Officer-Second-Wave-Based-on-Fake-Data-of-False-Positives-for-New-Cases-Pandemic-is-Over

Yeadon said in the interview:

"Were it not for the test data that you get from the TV all the time, you would rightly conclude that the pandemic was over, as nothing much has happened. Of course people go to the hospital, moving into the autumn flu season...but there is no science to suggest a second wave should happen."

In a paper published this month, which was co-authored by Yeadon and two of his colleagues, "How Likely is a Second Wave?", the scientists write:

"It has widely been observed that in all heavily infected countries in Europe and several of the US states likewise, that the shape of the daily deaths vs. time curves is similar to ours in the UK. Many of these curves are not just similar, but almost super imposable."

In the data for UK, Sweden, the US, and the world, it can be seen that in all cases, deaths were on the rise in March through mid or late April, then began tapering off in a smooth slope which flattened around the end of June and continues to today. The case rates however, based on testing, rise and swing upwards and downwards wildly.

Media messaging in the US is already ramping up expectations of a "second wave."

Charlie6D

Oct-22

Interesting, and encouraging, read!

Charlie------------------------------------------------------------

AFH2020

Oct-22

Interesting. Do you have a similar graph for hospitalizations? I've seen reports of hospitals again getting overwhelmed in some states.

I have not heard of any significant strain on the healthcare system. We have stupid metrics in CA based strictly on reported positive tests. In San Diego county we got put back into the most restrictive lockdown a couple of months ago because students started returning to universities and were forced to take tests. Almost no hospitalizations. Last week we almost got bumped back again, but we were allowed to remove a couple of positive tests from a prison. With the current metrics it would be impossible to ever get to the most safe zone even if there was a vaccine.
AFH2020

Oct-22

Ten states recorded their highest number of Covid-19 hospitalizations Tuesday: Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Montana, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin, according to the researchers.

So? Probably still low numbers.
AFH2020

Oct-22

I'm sure you'd like to believe that but several hospitals are reportedly overrun

Charlie6D

Oct-22

AFH2020 said...

Ten states recorded their highest number of Covid-19 hospitalizations Tuesday: Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Montana, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin, according to the researchers.

So what?  Most of this list of states is very sparsely populated and the virus has taken longer to get widespread in these states, so it's only logical that their peak would be later than more densely populated states.  What is their death rate per 100K population, and how does that compare with NY and NJ?

Charlie-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie6D

Oct-22

AFH2020 said...

I'm sure you'd like to believe that but several hospitals are reportedly overrun

Which ones?

Charlie---------------------------------------------------------------------

AFH2020

Oct-22

I believe Kansas and Wisconsin but not sure. And I don't think population density has much to do with it. I believe those states do have a few big cities. Again, I'd be interested to see more data like the graph ToraMori posted but I think it's a little premature to relax.