Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should We Do Another Unemployment Bonus?   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Oct-22 by Charlie6D; 387 views.
Charlie6D

Oct-22

What is your opinion as to whether we should have another unemployment bonus package before the election.  I say "No".  The current number being kicked around by Pelosi and Mnuchin is in the neighborhood of 2 TRILLION dollars, and that's considered a "small" bill.

Think about that for a minute... TWO FRICKING TRILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!  That is more than $6,000 for each man, woman, and child in this country. And that's on top of the TRILLIONS we've already given away in the past 8 months.

I say that we've got to stop trying to buy the election and that goes for BOTH parties.  In fact, forcing a vote in the Senate on another giveaway package would not be a smart thing to do, IMO, because we still have a few Pubs who are still pretending to be fiscally responsible, but that's getting to be more and more of a stretch with each passing giveaway.

Charlie------------------------------------------------------------

MikeJA

Oct-22

Trump thinks he needs another stimulus before the election and is signalling he will sign on to almost anything.  Pelosi doesn't want one before the election.  Looks like it's not going to happen.  Even if Pelosi and Mnuchin agreed on something, it would probably be too big for the Senate to go along.

Tom0956i

Oct-22

If anything just give it to people who lost their jobs and still unemployed and to small businesses.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Oct-22

No.  Go back to work.

Open the states.

Open bars and restaurants.

Get on with life.

If you're old, sick, and compromised, mask up and take precautions.

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-22

Charlie6D said...

is your opinion as to whether we should have another unemployment bonus package before the election.  I say "No".  The current number being kicked around by Pelosi and Mnuchin is in the neighborhood of 2 TRILLION dollars, and that's considered a "small" bill.

Think about that for a minute... TWO FRICKING TRILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!  That is more than $6,000 for each man, woman, and child in this country. And that's on top of the TRILLIONS we've already given away in the past 8 months.

I say that we've got to stop trying to buy the election and that goes for BOTH parties.  In fact, forcing a vote in the Senate on another giveaway package would not be a smart thing to do, IMO, because we still have a few Pubs who are still pretending to be fiscally responsible, but that's getting to be more and more of a stretch with each passing giveaway.

Charlie------------------------------------------------------------

No more of the same old same old.   Without an understanding of what it can actually do - giving it to people directly buys time and votes - but doesn't really help.  It prolongs the inevitable.

Crudely thought out - and I know this isn't perfect:   IMO in addition to $6K cash to individuals under a certain income level - I'd reduce/expunge/abate the monthly obligations that most Americans might have:  like mortgages; and student loan debt; and rent; and utilities.   Most of these lien holders are going to be banks and landlords and utilities.   Forced-forgiveness today - and the government will give these entities a longer term tax relief.  They can afford and tolerate that better than the average american family.

But cash alone isn't going to help the american worker b/c it just goes to pay a portion of a bill that continues to multiply and compound.  Reduce obligation AND give cash - and you buy yourself more time for science to work on Covid.

Otherwise people will be at a breaking point - and looting and rioting will be more of the norm.

Robb

Charlie6D

Oct-22

Why not just allow the country to open up and go back to work?  I realize that it's not up to the President, but what is stopping the governor's from doing that?  OK, I know the answer to my last question.  It's the Democrat governors who are stopping the return to work because anything that helps the people is going to help Trump in the election, and the Dim governors would rather see the people suffer than see Trump re-elected.

Charlie-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BOGEYSBGONE

Oct-22

Charlie6D said...

Why not just allow the country to open up and go back to work?  I realize that it's not up to the President, but what is stopping the governor's from doing that?  OK, I know the answer to my last question.  It's the Democrat governors who are stopping the return to work because anything that helps the people is going to help Trump in the election, and the Dim governors would rather see the people suffer than see Trump re-elected.

Charlie-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that your suggest is part of the right answer....it would be helpful in part.   I was suggesting another part of the solution - of what the government (big govt) could do that would be helpful too. 

The economy is tied to so many things other than "selling widgets" with so many pieces that have stopped - and need to be restarted at the same time.   It's a complex problem - and to try to distill it down to "temporary handouts" is hard.

To me - I have said from the start that the point of all this is to keep people from literally going crazy and killing one another.  I thought the money in the beginning was a good idea but only b/c we thought Covid was going to go away a lot sooner.  I thought quarantines/lockdowns was a good idea too - b/c it would help Covid go away a lot sooner.   But ultimately  Americans simply won't stand for having their freedom taken away.   I have said that Americans aren't going to be as cooperative as we need to be - in order for quarantines/lockdowns to work.  I have been an advocate for science.

And none of it has occurred.   Time to do something else.   B/c people are going crazy.   If Matt's idea of putting 50% of the population at risk of infection or death - I think there are a lot of folks who would risk it now - b/c what we've tried so far isn't working.   By the same token - there are maybe 50% of people who will stay home.

Is that enough to get our economy going again?  I don't know.

I think you are right in part; I was only adding another part.   And even that isn't enough - if Covid sticks around much longer, and science doesn't hurry up.  I think Mr. Trump has been doing it right all along though with his hopeful demeanor...b/c that's all we have sometimes.

Robb

50% is ridiculous scare mongering. Just look at the damn data by age demographic. You are too smart to think there ever was a death sentence for 50% of the population. It’s that kind of thinking that leads to the screwed up shit that we ended up doing.
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Oct-23

I agree...I wore a mask and still got it, I also did not die.