Politics and Political Issues -  Mass firing of 46 US Attorneys (3243 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-10 5:24 PM 
To: All  (1 of 15) 

BREAKING: Sessions Seeks Resignation Of Preet Bharara, 45 Other Obama US Attys

Law360

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has asked for resignation letters from 46 U.S. Attorneys, including Manhattan's Preet Bharara, the U.S. Department of Justice said on Friday, reversing an assurance from Sessions and President Donald Trump that Bharara could stay.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-10 5:30 PM 
To: All  (2 of 15) 
 136882.2 in reply to 136882.1 

Trump administration dismisses 46 US attorneys

"As was the case in prior transitions, many of the United States attorneys nominated by the previous administration already have left the Department of Justice. The attorney general has now asked the remaining 46 presidentially appointed US attorneys to tender their resignations in order to ensure a uniform transition," Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores said...Administrations have the right to replace and nominate US attorneys. President Bill Clinton, for instance, dismissed dozens of US attorneys in his first year of office. In mid-March 2001, President George W. Bush's attorney general said he was transitioning most of the 93 US attorneys before June of that year. President Ronald Reagan replaced a majority of his administration's US attorneys within his first two years in office.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-10 5:34 PM 
To: All  (3 of 15) 
 136882.3 in reply to 136882.1 

Jeff Sessions tells 46 US attorneys appointed by Obama to resign

New York Post 
Attorney General Jeff Sessions asked all 46 US attorneys appointed by President Obama to resign Friday — but while Brooklyn's Robert Capers was quick to comply, the future of the city's only other Obama holdover, Manhattan's Preet Bharara, remained unclear...After meeting separately with Bharara in late November, both Sessions and President Trump said they planned to keep the aggressive Southern District AG in place. “We had a good meeting,” Bharara told reporters after his meet with Trump. “I agreed to stay on. I have already spoken to Sen. Sessions . . . He also asked that I stay on, and so I expect that I will be continuing to work and so I expect that I will be continuing to work at the southern district. Bharara has hardly been a paragon of fealty since then. In starting his own personal Twitter account last week, Bharara identified himself as “a patriotic American and proud immigrant.” But while sources in Bharara’s office described an atmosphere of surprise and uncertainty on Friday — with no word on a resignation — Capers resigned immediately. “This afternoon, I was instructed to resign my position as United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, effective March 10, 2017, he said in a resignation statement. “It has been my greatest honor to serve my country, New York City and the people of this district for almost 14 years, with the last 17 months serving as United States Attorney.”

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 8:32 AM 
To: All  (4 of 15) 
 136882.4 in reply to 136882.1 

With Preet Bharara's Dismissal, Storied Office Loses Its Top Fighter: Mr. Bharara was told to step down after being asked by President Trump to stay on.

New York Times

For more than seven years, Preet Bharara, the United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, made a name for himself as one the nation’s most aggressive and outspoken prosecutors of public corruption and Wall Street crime. With Mr. Bharara, 48, being told on Friday to step down from his post, it was unclear what effect his expected departure might have on the office’s current investigations. In past presidential transitions, the storied office, long known to be so independent of Washington that some people referred to it as the Sovereign District of New York, has in large measure moved forward unaffected by politics. Under Mr. Bharara, the office prosecuted Democratic and Republican officials with equal ardor, most notably Sheldon Silver, the former Democratic speaker of New York’s Assembly, and Dean G. Skelos, the former Republican majority leader of the State Senate. His office is preparing to try a group of former aides and associates of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo in a wide-ranging bribery and bid-rigging case and has been investigating Mayor Bill de Blasio’s campaign fund-raising as part of an inquiry into whether he or other officials exchanged official acts for political donations. The investigation into Mr. de Blasio’s fund-raising, perhaps the office’s highest profile continuing inquiry, began roughly a year ago and appears to be in its final stages, with prosecutors and F.B.I. agents interviewing the mayor for four hours two weeks ago. The mayor’s press secretary said at the time that Mr. de Blasio was cooperating in the inquiry and that “at all times the mayor
...[Message truncated]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 3:43 PM 
To: Hummingbird (GAHummer) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 15) 
 136882.5 in reply to 136882.1 

Cross-posted to TRUMP LIE OF THE DAY and FIRING US ATTORNEYS and JEFF SESSIONS threads...

So we now know that (1) Jeff Sessions perjured himself - a felony - in testimony to Congress when he pledged to keep Bharara and, (2) Donald Trump lied when after meeting Bahara recently promised in public to keep Bharara on, and that one of the nation's most respected prosecutors is gone. In a perfect world Sessions would be criminally charged, go to jail, be impeached, and be disbarred, and of course Trump already meets the criteria for Congress to remove him, but obviously they will get away with it:  

BREAKING: Preet Bharara Fired After Refusing To Resign

Law360

U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said on Saturday that he had been fired after he refused to comply with Attorney General Jeff Sessions' order directing Obama-appointed U.S. attorneys to resign.

==========

New York federal prosecutor Preet Bharara fired by Trump administration

Washington Post

...“I did not resign,” Bharara said on Twitter. “Moments ago I was fired. Being the US Attorney in SDNY will forever be the greatest honor of my professional life...” President Trump met with Bharara soon after the election and had asked him to stay on...(On Friday) Bharara asked for clarity about whether the requests for resignations applied to him, given his previous conversation with Trump, and did not immediately get a definitive answer, according to a person familiar with the exchange...Two people close to Trump said the president’s chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon and Attorney General Jeff Sessions want a clean slate of federal prosecutors and are unconcerned about any perception that the White House appears to have changed its mind about Bharara...

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 9:09 AM 
To: All  (6 of 15) 
 136882.6 in reply to 136882.1 

Now-fired Preet Bharara proud of 'absolute independence'

Washington Post
NEW YORK - A defiant Manhattan federal prosecutor, in announcing his firing after he refused to resign, says “absolute independence” was his touchstone for over seven years as he battled public corruption.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 10:55 AM 
To: Jeri (azpaints)  (7 of 15) 
 136882.7 in reply to 136882.1 

Cummings: There 'very well may be' connection between Bharara firing and investigations into Trump

The Hill

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said there could be a connection between the firing of former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and investigations into President Trump. During an interview on ABC's "This Week," Cummings, the ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, said the president has the right to fire U.S. attorneys. But he noted that not very long ago, the president said he was willing to "keep the U.S. attorney there in New York." "And then suddenly, he's, I guess, changed his mind," Cummings said.

From: WhiteMare (WhiteMare2) DelphiPlus Member IconMar-12 10:58 AM 
To: All  (8 of 15) 
 136882.8 in reply to 136882.6 

Cummings: There 'very well may be' connection between Bharara firing and investigations into Trump

TheHill

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said there could be a connection between the firing of former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and investigations into President Trump.

Last week, watchdog groups asked Bharara to investigate Trump regarding foreign business deals, according to The Washington Post. The groups requested the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York look into whether the president had gotten benefits from foreign governments, in violation of the Emoluments Clause.

"So I think that in part, the president has created this situation for himself. But yea, sure, no doubt about it, when they asked about the Emoluments Clause and possible violations of it and the U.S. attorneys relationship to that, I think that had perhaps something to do with."

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 11:03 AM 
To: WhiteMare (WhiteMare2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 15) 
 136882.9 in reply to 136882.8 

We both found a piece of the same "Hill" article at the same time :)

To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 15) 
 136882.10 in reply to 136882.7 

I think there absolutely is a connection.  The guy was fine..until presented with a request to investigate the Russian thing.  Then all of a sudden, he's fired.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-15
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.