Business, Entertainment & Tax -  Harry Anderson, Glen's "hero", dies (174 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:12 AM 
To: All  (1 of 12) 

Many people here know that Harry Anderson is a bit of a role model for me.  His portrayal of a judge on Night Court, while exaggerated and humorous, also showed traits all judges should have - compassion, humanity and a sense of humor, and I took those traits to heart in my judicial career.   His was perhaps the most realistic portrayal of the moral and practical dilemmas a judge faces on the bench of ANY TV show.  I am saddened by his passing.

Harry Anderson, ‘Night Court’ Star, Dies at 65

Variety

Harry Anderson, the amiable actor who presided over the NBC comedy “Night Court” for nine seasons, has died at his home in Asheville, N.C., according to a local media report. He was 65. Anderson was found at his home by police officers early Monday , according to a report by WSPA-TV, the CBS affiliate in Spartanburg, S.C. No foul play was suspected, police told the station. Anderson was a magician-turned-actor who was known as a rabid fan of jazz singer Mel Torme. The affection for Torme was woven into his TV alter ego, Judge Harry Stone, a quirky character who ruled the bench at a Manhattan night court. The sitcom was a mainstay of NBC from 1984 to 1992. Anderson earned three consecutive Emmy nominations for his work on the show from 1985-1987...On “Night Court,” Anderson played a goofy but big-hearted judge who encountered a host of oddball characters and cases every week.

~~~~~

Hosting Delphi Forums:  [Personal Law]
[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:14 AM 
To: All  (2 of 12) 
 138092.2 in reply to 138092.1 

Please watch this classic hillarious video also starring Star Trek's Bret Spiner:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:25 AM 
To: All  (3 of 12) 
 138092.3 in reply to 138092.1 

I did this post here 18 years ago, and note the part near the end about Harry Anderson:

From: Glen (GEAATL)  DelphiPlus Member Icon 9/9/00 9:05 AM 
To: DOREEN244   

Please do NOT think that "TV Court" resembles real court at all. As a Judge I am furious that TV stations put such garbage on the air and am frankly appalled that Americans as a group think this resembles real Court.

Judge Judy and Judge Jerry (Peoples Court) are arrogant jackasses. A real Judge acting that way would face discipline in most states. I know several of these folks have been real Judges which makes it more inexcusable. Mills Lane is basically an online clown. I don't think Joe Browne in any way resembles what we expect to see in Judges. Etc Etc. (The closest to judicial demeanor I have seen on these shows was Judge Wapner, formerly of People's Court, and now on Animal Court. The ONLY commentator on these shows with marginal intelligence and accuracy is Harvey Levin, a real lawyer, who does have some good commentary on the People's Court.)

These court shows have created a very real problem in real court, because litigants are starting to think court is a free for all where arguing and rudeness is allowed.

If you even think this resembles real Court, please take a week and go visit some real courts. It's less exciting, but you will correct your misconceptions quickly.

In real Court, Judges do not abuse litigants. Most Judge also LISTEN more. No real Judge would allow the level of talking back you see on these fake shows - it would land litigants in jail.

To answer your other questions:

1. Why do some judges accept a notarized statement from a witness (that is not present) and others do not.

A notarized statement doesn't mean anything. It's a letter.
The fact one gets a seal on it doesn't change much. Most
courts do not admit them, as the author cannot
be cross-examined and observed for veracity. Some small claims
courts do allow litigants to use them (which is why you see them
on the TV shows) but in general their credibility is minimal. If
the person was THAT good a witness, you'd subpoena them.

2. Why are some recorded conversations accepted when the person is not aware of being taped, and others not. I have watched cases where the judges decision was based on this.

In many states it is a crime to record a conversation without
consent.

3. Why do the judges permit clients to come into court dressed inappropriately or am I just being old-fashioned?

In real courts, especially criminal ones, the normal dress
seems to have been casual for years. As a rule, small town
civil courts seem to be more formal. Some Judges are strict
on this. I'm not (as long as a person has shoes and somewhat
modest attire) but if a person is unkempt, he creates a bad
image that certainly will hurt him in many courts. Some Judges
put more weight on this than others. But only an idiot would
not dress nicely for court; in some Courts it's a problem.
Unfortunately many people don't think about their appearance.

Real Court is NOT like these shows nor is it like L.A. Law. In fact the show that most closely ever captured real Court was probably NIGHT COURT, which although a comedy, had elements of real arrairgnment court in it. Harry Anderson closely exemplified many of the elements a real Judge needs - firmness but common sense and compassion, and yes, some humor at times. And Picket Fences (Ray Walston) ha
...[Message truncated]

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:32 AM 
To: All  (4 of 12) 
 138092.4 in reply to 138092.3 

Harry Anderson is best known for the role of Judge Harry Stone on the 1984–92 television series Night Court.

In addition to eight appearances on Saturday Night Live between 1981 and 1985, Anderson had a recurring guest role as con man Harry "The Hat" Gittes on Cheers, toured extensively as a magician, and did several magic/comedy shows for broadcast, including Harry Anderson's Sideshow (1987). He was also notable for his role as Richie Tozier in the 1990 Tommy Lee Wallace miniseries It...From 1993 to 1997, Anderson starred in the TV sitcom Dave's World...

Anderson appeared in Hexing a Hurricane, a documentary about the first six months in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina...In 2005, Anderson opened a nightclub in the French Quarter called Oswald's Speakeasy... He performed a one-man show there called Wise Guy. In his final years, Anderson appeared in television comedy specials such as in Comedy Bang! Bang! (2013) and Gotham Comedy Live (2014).[17] His final film portrayal was as Professor Kaman in the 2014 Christian drama film A Matter of Faith.

A longtime fan of singer Mel Tormé, Anderson's character Judge Stone on Night Court was also a Tormé fan; the singer appeared on the sitcom six times (as himself).

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]
  • Edited April 17, 2018 3:26 am  by  Glen (GEAATL)

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:51 AM 
To: All  (5 of 12) 
 138092.5 in reply to 138092.3 

The best Star Trek moment on Night Court:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 2:56 AM 
To: All  (6 of 12) 
 138092.6 in reply to 138092.3 

A VIP moment:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 3:00 AM 
To: All  (7 of 12) 
 138092.7 in reply to 138092.6 

And a look at Harry Anderson on Cheers:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 3:02 AM 
To: All  (8 of 12) 
 138092.8 in reply to 138092.6 

The magic of Night Court:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 3:08 AM 
To: All  (9 of 12) 
 138092.9 in reply to 138092.6 

The right to a speedy trial:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostApr-17 3:11 AM 
To: All  (10 of 12) 
 138092.10 in reply to 138092.6 

Running gag on Night Court, Judge Harry always wanted to meet his beloved Mel Torme:

~~~~~

[Delphi Memorial Forum]

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-12
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.