Family,Divorce & Relationships -  Catholic married Archbishops/Priests  (2125 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon5/27/01 5:17 PM 
To: All  (1 of 54) 
NEW YORK (AP)

"A Roman Catholic archbishop who says God wants him and the Catholic Church to shed the celibacy rule married a physician Sunday in a group wedding conducted by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon. Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo, 71, was wed in a group marriage ceremony Sunday at the New York Hilton. The bride, chosen for him this week by Moon, is Marie Sung, 43, a physician from South Korea, said the Rev. Phillip Schanker, a spokesman for the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, the central group in Moon's movement. He said the newlyweds plan to move to Africa. Milingo has long been at odds with the Catholic hierarchy, although he remains based in Rome and still carries his title. He said in a prepared statement that he had kept his priestly vow of celibacy since 1958 but has decided it's time for Catholicism to change. ''The sacrifice of celibate life has fulfilled its purpose. We enter the era when every man and woman is called to fulfill his or her original purpose to reflect God's image,'' he said. Milingo also stated: ''I have no desire to leave the church that I love.'' Asked at a news conference whether the church would now excommunicate him, Milingo said: ''It doesn't affect me.'' He said he still considers himself a Catholic and that Moon's religious teachings are in line with the Bible, but the Vatican was expected to take action against him."

http://www.newsday.com/ap/topnews/ap801.htm

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon5/28/01 9:20 AM 
To: All  (2 of 54) 
 35100.2 in reply to 35100.1 
VATICAN CITY (AP)

"A Roman Catholic archbishop who married a physician in a group wedding conducted by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon has put himself ''outside the church'' and can no longer be considered a bishop, the Vatican said Monday. It said further sanctions will soon be announced, indicating the Vatican was considering excommunicating Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo."

http://www.newsday.com/ap/topnews/ap766.htm

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/17/01 10:44 PM 
To: All  (3 of 54) 
 35100.3 in reply to 35100.1 
VATICAN CITY (AP)

"The Vatican on Tuesday threatened to excommunicate an archbishop married in New York this spring in one of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's mass weddings. Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo was given until Aug. 20 to leave his new wife, sever his ties with Moon's movement, publicly promise to remain celibate, and "manifest his obedience to the Supreme Pontiff." If he doesn't, he will be excommunicated, said the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which enforces Roman Catholic orthodoxy."

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010717/20/int-vatican-married-archbishop

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/25/01 11:08 PM 
To: All  (4 of 54) 
 35100.4 in reply to 35100.2 
WASHINGTON, July 25 (UPI)

"Roman Catholic archbishop Emmanuel Milingo responded to the Vatican's threat of excommunication over his recent marriage by saying Wednesday that through his wife he had come to see "the other side of God's heart" and that the Catholic church should abandon its requirement of celibacy for priests. "How can I now leave my wife?" Milingo asked. At a news conference in Washington, Milingo said he has begun conjugal life with Korean acupuncturist Maria Sung, to whom he was wedded in May by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon. On June 17, the Vatican had issued a Public Canonical Admonition stating, "Should Archbishop Milingo not formally act by August 20, 2001, to fulfill what is required of him, excommunication reserved to the Holy See will be imposed." According to the Rev. John Beal, a canon lawyer, this particular type of punishment can be lifted only by the pope"

http://kevxml.infospace.com/_1_4I8LT2O04FLGS4O__morris.sav/kevxml?kcfg=upi-article&sin=200107252011170004536&otmpl=/upi/story.htm&qcat=news&rn=10251&qk=10&passdate=07/25/2001

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/7/01 10:44 AM 
To: All  (5 of 54) 
 35100.5 in reply to 35100.4 

ROME (Reuters)

"Emmanuel Milingo, the archbishop who scandalized the Catholic world by defecting to the sect of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon and marrying a Korean woman, met Pope John Paul on Tuesday in an apparent attempt to make amends. In a brief statement that capped a morning of suspense, the Vatican said the Pope received Milingo at the papal summer residence at Castelgandolfo, southeast of Rome. "The meeting was the start of dialogue that one hopes can lead to positive developments," the Vatican said.  Milingo, who was born in Zambia, unexpectedly showed up at Castelgandolfo late on Monday but was not received by the Pope... The meeting with the Pope took place just two weeks before an August 20 deadline for Milingo to publicly return to the Catholic fold, renounce Moon's sect and leave his wife or else face excommunication. "

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20010807_149.html

Glen
Forum Manager: Personal Law Forum - www.delphi.com/perlaw/start
Forum Manager: Southern States Forum - www.delphi.com/southern/start
Forum Manager: Delphi Medical Forum - www.delphi.com/medhealth/start 

Law Office Site: THE LAW OFFICE OF GLEN ASHMAN has provided quality
services at affordable fees since 1980

Visit my Delphi Forums Website

And for Delphi PLUS members only - Glen's Plus Forum: http://www.delphi.com/geaatl/messages

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/11/01 2:43 PM 
To: All  (6 of 54) 
 35100.6 in reply to 35100.4 

The below story makes me furious.  The Pope and his underlings order a man to never see his wife again or be tossed from the church, and think they are Christian?  That's immoral, sickening and despicable, and certainly doesn't fit any definition of Christianity that Christ would have accepted.

"VATICAN CITY (AP) - The wife of an archbishop who scandalized the Vatican by getting married pleaded tearfully Saturday to be allowed to see her husband and threatened to go on a hunger strike if church officials denied her request.  Maria Sung suggested that the church was holding her husband, Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo, against his will after he met with the pope and Vatican officials in an effort to open a dialogue and avert his excommunication.  "I am afraid that my husband is not free to speak with me," Sung told a press conference at a Rome hotel, reading from a prepared statement in Italian. "I am asking the church that my husband loves to tell me where he is." Milingo, a Zambian, and his wife traveled to Italy last week, and Milingo met Tuesday with Pope John Paul II to discuss his reasons for getting married in one of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's group weddings. Milingo has said priests need not be celibate and that God's blessings were meant to be given through the family."

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA8YXWL9QC.html

Glen

Law Office Site: THE LAW OFFICE OF GLEN ASHMAN has provided quality
services at affordable fees since 1980

And for Delphi PLUS members only - Glen's Plus Forum: http://www.delphi.com/geaatl/messages

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/12/01 11:55 PM 
To: All  (7 of 54) 
 35100.7 in reply to 35100.3 

VATICAN CITY, Aug. 12 (UPI)

"Controversial Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo, who defied the Catholic faith by marrying in May, continued to seclude himself Sunday, following the Vatican's shock announcement that he intends to reconcile with the Church. Saturday's news came the same day Milingo's wife, Maria Sung, held a tearful news conference at which she threatened to go on a hunger strike unless the Vatican allowed her to communicate with her husband, who is under Church protection, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported... The Vatican's watchdog department, the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, saying that Milingo -- as a result of being personally reminded by the Pope of his responsibility toward God and the Church -- is spending a "period of reflection and prayer with a view to full reconciliation," according to the BBC."

http://kevxml.infospace.com/_1_4NH7TI804IRNIF5__morris.sav/kevxml?kcfg=upi-article&sin=200108122117310004205&otmpl=/upi/story.htm&qcat=news&rn=00031&qk=10&passdate=08/12/2001

Glen

The Law Office of GLEN ASHMAN has provided quality services at affordable fees since 1980

Delphi PLUS members only: http://www.delphi.com/geaatl/messages   

Experienced forum hosts? Get info on Strictly Forum Business: Email:geaatl@yahoo.com 

To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 54) 
 35100.8 in reply to 35100.7 
The archbishop would get my sympathy IF

he had met his wife in some conventional way -- through a parish he served, perhaps, or something. And they had dated, had a relationship, had a courtship, then marry....

But he "met" her on the morning that they married, in a mass wedding, held by Rev. Moon.

I think the Catholic Church is wrong in its stance against marriage for priests.

But I think this particular relationship is more a political challenge than a real challenge to that stance.

From: oky (OKYOKY) DelphiPlus Member Icon8/13/01 5:04 PM 
To: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 54) 
 35100.9 in reply to 35100.6 
If the Milingo resigns as bishop and his priesthood, he won't be tossed out. He has to make a decision, marriage or priesthood. It's not the pope's pwoer to say otherwise. It's catholic church law.

Milingo knew what he was doing when he went to the Moonies. If the woman knew the situation, she can't complain, either.

From: Glen (GEAATL) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host8/13/01 5:39 PM 
To: oky (OKYOKY) DelphiPlus Member Icon unread  (10 of 54) 
 35100.10 in reply to 35100.9 

You're totally incorrect.   Priests can't just "resign."  As the Catholic Encyclopedia explains it:

the official powers of the priest are intimately connected with the sacramental character, indelibly imprinted on his soul.

As the priestly character, like that imparted by baptism and confirmation, is indelible, ordination can never be repeated, and a return to the lay state is absolutely impossible (cf. Council of Trent, Sess. XXIII, can. iv, in Denzinger, n. 964).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12409a.htm

The church has made it clear he'll be excommunicated unless he leaves his "wife" (and there is an annulment) and has not made that conditional on anything.

Glen

The Law Office of GLEN ASHMAN has provided quality services at affordable fees since 1980

Delphi PLUS members only: http://www.delphi.com/geaatl/messages   

Experienced forum hosts? Get info on Strictly Forum Business: Email:geaatl@yahoo.com 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 51-54
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | About Delphi
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.