Pokémon Go Exploratorium!

Hosted by Cstar1|Home Base

Whether you're a fan, a player, or just curious about what's going on, we've got the Pokescoop for you!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pokemon Go Community Day   News!

Started Feb-24 by Cstar1; 193 views.
Cstar1
Host

Feb-24

In reply toRe: msg 1

Since I didn't have a Dragonite  (3rd generation Dratini) and very few Dratini sightings since it first came out,
I decided to take advantage of this "event".  I went to a neighboring town's common and couldn't believe the
number of people playing!  My phone battery was low, so I only stuck around to get enough candy to evolve
into a Dragonite, and stock up a little extra candy for the future.  At least this was a decent "Community Day"
event, unlike the first one. 

The game has been fairly interesting with the release of the 3rd Gen Pokemon - I stocked them up quickly
even thought there were some missed opportunities.  Forget the Legendaries - still haven't found players
to get involved (today would have been interesting had I had my phone charger with me, and time to chat.
I have done some raids, but low-level ones.  Still doing Gyms to accumulate coins.

We'll see what Niantic has up its sleeve next!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Michele (Conclave)

Feb-24

So I am in Austin for this, and we headed down to one of the parks that came up on their Facebook page. There must have been about 150 people wandering the park like zombies, eyes glued on their phones! About an hour into it, we noted on a local map that the Dratini were more concentrated at the other end of the park, near a stadium, so we got in the car to head there. So did a bunch of other people. The parking lot looked like some sort of coordinated dance as cars moved in unison from place to place. :)

I caught about 70 Dratini, but only one shiny one. I went ahead and evolved it to the pink Dragonair and left it. I had hoped for three, so that I could have all the stages, but luck was not with me.  I also managed to grab two more Pokemon that I didn't have, so that helped.

Austin (and some other cities) have these cool "Raid Buses" that go out almost every weekend. They need at least 30 people, to a max of 50. The bus has power, and the group provides snacks and bottled water. Individuals of age can bring their own alcohol. Almost all the raids can be done from the bus, so it's nice and comfortable, especially when it's raining! The cost is about $25 pp, and each session is about 4-5 hours. We do about 12 raids during that time, and players are sorted by team so as to maximise returns. You are pretty much guaranteed to beat the boss, but catching it is up to the game, of course!

Here's a link, where you can see the Austin bus. I think you can go from that page to a main one to see if there is one in your town. https://raidbus.com/e/64/rayquaza-raid-bus-4-austin-tx . They have a Discord channel and Facebook page for each city, as well. Anyway, tons of fun and great way to stay caught up on the Legendaries.

Cstar1
Host

Feb-26

Sounds like you both had a good time with this community day!

In reply toRe: msg 4

For me, it was an event of "necessity" in order to help my chances of capturing (or evolving into) a Dragonite.  Every day
play was not helping toward that end.  The previous Community Day was fairly useless as far as I was concerned.

I was able to capture enough Dratinis to achieve the resulting evolution.  Had I more time and battery charge, I
would have continued longer to additional evolutions.   No Shiny; I've never encountered any of the ones that
have been reported to-date, unfortunately.  Didn't make any "connections" with other players in the hopes of
establishing some Raid partners.  The event, this time, was worth the time and effort.  Hopefully, the next one
(haven't heard anything about the next yet) will also be worthwhile.

At the moment, I have captured 301 Pokemon, and have "seen" 336.  That's 140 from the 1st Gen, 85 from the
2nd, and 76 from the 3rd.  The 2nd and 3rd accumulations happened a lot faster than the first!  Still trying to fill
in numerous gaps in the first generation group.  Likely, a few more evolutions will help, but obtaining the
Legendaries is highly unlikely unless Niantic makes it more possible.

Michele (Conclave)

Feb-26

The next community day is March 25, and will feature Bulbasaur. You can evolve them into a Venasaur with a special move available only by evolving during the Community Day hours. Plus, there will be shiny Bulbasaurs. I'll participate only for that, most likely.

A Venasaur is one of the Gen 1 Pokemon that I'm still missing, so that will be a worthwhile
event for me!  Still no shiny beasts in my collection yet, but perhaps eventually...

Cstar1
Host

Mar-1