There have been several "ah hah!" moments for me.
1. I discovered PCC. That was HUGE.
2. After buying a pasta machine, I switched to Premo. I'm now on my third pasta machine.
3. This one seems so silly now, but it took me YEARS to learn this -- you not only can but on some projects SHOULD do multiple bakings. Sure, I "knew" this all along, but it took forever for it to soak in!
4. Make a cane, then let it REST. (See No. 2)
5. Sanding and buffing makes a HUGE difference. (See No. 2 -- I was a stubborn little clayer, because I was so excited about all the possibilities I wanted instant results)
6. Five years ago, I moved 750 miles to a city that has a guild. Wow! Just being around people who also had pasta machines and all the other gadgets, materials and doodads we all use and love was eye-opening. And the inspiration I get from these people cannot be measured.