Sculpture and Miniatures -  1st Mermaid Sculpture (114 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 6) 

I know I haven't been here in awhile, but I've been very busy getting things packed for my move to NC in 6 weeks. I just couldn't resist playing with clay during my breaks from packing. I've always wanted to learn how to sculpt faeries and mermaids and the such. So, here's my first attempt. I really need alot of practice with faces (this  merface is not pretty), and I could really use some baking tips on multiple baking (the doll started cracking all over her body after the third bake, and I had to paint the whole body, ugh).

Also, Thanks to everyone that bought items in my clean out my closet sale. I hope everyone received everything in great condition and I hope you are enjoying them. :)

Charlee

Reply   Options 

From: Chris (rutterc) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/29/08 11:29 PM 
To: Charlee (claypal)  (2 of 6) 
 57580.2 in reply to 57580.1 
Charlee, if this is your first sculpture, I think you're on your way to becoming a very good sculptor. I also bake my sculpts multiple times, and occasionally have problems with cracking. Just keep at it and you will gain more experience with each piece. Good work! :)

To: Chris (rutterc) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 6) 
 57580.3 in reply to 57580.2 

Thanks Chris! :)

It is my first sculpture. I am now working on a fairy, and she is cracking too with multiple bakings. I figure either I am using the wrong kind of clay, or my oven temp. is too high for multiple bakes. What is the best clay for sculpting these small fantasy figures?

Charlee

To: Charlee (claypal)  (4 of 6) 
 57580.4 in reply to 57580.1 

I think she's cute! I really like the tail.

To: Jinxii83  (5 of 6) 
 57580.5 in reply to 57580.4 

Thanks Jinxii! The tail was actually the easiest part, and the most fun to make.

Charlee

From: Chris (rutterc) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/30/08 11:46 AM 
To: Charlee (claypal)  (6 of 6) 
 57580.6 in reply to 57580.3 

I actually use all the different brands of clay (except Sculpy III... too brittle). My favorite type of clay for sculpts is Prosculpt. I also like the old Fimo classic, but it takes quite a lot of work to condition.

Others here could probably guide you in your clay selection better than I can... I've only been playing with pc for a couple of years.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.