Sculpture and Miniatures -  Canopy Bed (148 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 5) 

I hope someone can help.   I am looking for instructions for a minature canopy bed made with polymer clay, does anyone have any instructions or know where I can find them?

Reply   Options 

To: Crafty0529  (2 of 5) 
 60966.2 in reply to 60966.1 

I made one using FIMO and bamboo skewers, some gold powders and glue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarajanehelm/3368251776/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarajanehelm/3368251484/in/photostream/

I covered the skewers as I would to make tube beads, but left the skewers inside for support. Four long ones make the posts, I cut shorter ones for the small bars in the head and foot of the bed, which were made in two separate sections in several steps.The curved sections at top were tube beads with the stick pulled out, the curve formed and then baked.The top curve section and the bottom straight section of the head and foot are joined with several uprights, Then the head and foot sections are joined at the mattress level and the canopy level with more skewers; I drilled holes and inserted the skewer then glued. All the joins were covered with bits of impressed clay. All parts of head and foot made and baked first, then joined to make the bed. Matress is a piece of cardboard and fabric with cotton batting. Lace drapes over the top to make a canopy.  The one shown in the pics is Barbie scale/ fashion doll scale  1/6 (Dolls are about 10 inces tall)

hope this helps!

To: SJPOLYCLAY  (3 of 5) 
 60966.3 in reply to 60966.2 

Dear Ms. Sarajane:

Thank you so much.  That is beautiful.  It does help because years ago I had a "decorating & craft ideas magazine, (of course I can't find it) but it was made in all polmer clay, except the posts.  I can see it .  The canopy was a patchwork design, as was the dust ruffle, the quilt was all different patterns, (patchwork that matched) there was a little girl yawning with her arm wrapped around her teddy bear and covering her had trying to cover the yawn.  The bed was on a wood base with dowels for the posts w/ round balls of clay on top of the dowels and her foot was trying to come out from under the covers and her pillow was stuffed to look like a real pillow with the old strips and yours will really help.

Thanks again for replying so quickly.

Very truly yours

Amy K.

To: Crafty0529  (4 of 5) 
 60966.4 in reply to 60966.3 

you are welcome!

Sounds to me like the one you are describing is a smaller scale, and that you can see how its constructed. You have lots of options on the decoration with your choices of colors for base clay and cane work and other techniques for the "fabrics". Pasta machines make getting it thin enough for ruffles a breeze.

Be sure to post pics if you make one!

To: SJPOLYCLAY  (5 of 5) 
 60966.5 in reply to 60966.4 

Hi Sarajane:

Thank you for the additional information.  I wish I could post pictures but I do not have the equipment to do so. 

It is interesting you mentioned the pasta machine not to long ago I purchased one from the store I volunteer at.  It was in new condition and was only approx $6.00.  I get a lot of my supplies their.  If you are ever in the Fairport, NY area (in the Village) you should stop in.  It is a resale shop, only the quality merchandise it put out (all items are donated) and all the proceeds are donated to the Seniors of Fairport (once, the rent, electric & bags are paid for).   There is a web page (don't know the address) but in the search engine just type craft bits and pieces fairport ny.  We are all volunteers and for that reason the hours are limited.

Thanks again

Amy

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.