Books/Resources/ClayCyclopedia -  Clay Art for All Seasons (130 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/6/10 1:37 PM 
To: All  (1 of 13) 
I got this book to teach me how to make clay flowers and it is really beautiful! The flowers in it are amazing. But they use air dry clay and I was just wondering if anyone else has used these instructions with polymer. Some of the petals look so thin and paper-like that I'm wondering if I can get that effect with polymer clay. Thanks.

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

Reply   Options 

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/6/10 3:29 PM 
To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 13) 
 63975.2 in reply to 63975.1 

I've got both of her books and I cry when I look at the pictures, they are so lovely. I wrote about it in the other thread but the cyber universe ate it.

I've read them and read them and I don't see whjy they wouldn't work but I would think maybe a mix of ultra lite and premo is what I would try, but they do have some good tools on their website that wouls be helpful to give leaves and some petals textiure

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

My Website - SincereLeigh.com

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/6/10 3:40 PM 
To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 13) 
 63975.3 in reply to 63975.2 
Okay, great, thanks Leigh!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/6/10 5:18 PM 
To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 13) 
 63975.4 in reply to 63975.2 
Since you have both books, could you tell me if there is a lot in the "Clay Art for all Occasions" that isn't in the "For All Seasons"? Worth buying? Thanks!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/6/10 10:05 PM 
To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 13) 
 63975.5 in reply to 63975.4 

Barbara, I keep the two of them together and I don't feel the least bit like I could do without either of them!!  I think the Special Occasion one has more floral sstuff and the photos and the flowers are a little harder looking but yet still very doable.  Just like any of us, she gets better with every book.

But I think there are more flowers in Special Occasions. I'm going to the web site and get some of the texture sheets, they might make things easier~~~ <you know, I just gotta have them!<G>>

I don't think you will be disappointed although there are a couple of the sa me photos, and the basics are about the same. Interesting thiung, she never uses a pasta machine!!!

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/6/10 10:11 PM 
To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 13) 
 63975.6 in reply to 63975.5 

The pictures are stunning, you're right. Hard to believe they're clay.

I'm trying to get my petals really thin, but having some trouble with that. How do you do it? I'm probably using a clay that's too sticky, I should probably try blending it with the ultralight, but I'm teaching a class for JoAnn Fabrics in a couple weeks and they want SIII used for them. I did see that web site, wanting to try the clay too though!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host3/7/10 4:07 PM 
To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 13) 
 63975.7 in reply to 63975.6 

When I firsst started making flowers, I was using the old old sculpey Flex which was like sticky glue!!!! It was a real pain, but I finally got is going by putting it on wax paper and letting it settle for awhile, then it dried out a little and I cut out the petals with  cutters, then smoothed out the edges with a small angled brush that I dipped first in my mixture of shaved chalk and pearl ex. Then smoothed the edges with a clay shapper dipped in the same mixture, and made sure the petal was  covered then took a pallette knife and lifted it off the wax paper, then I was able to pick it up without putting fingerprints on it and dust the other side of the petal if I needed I wpould do the edges on the second side with the clay shaper, the Pointy one, with the chalk and pearlex on it I could roll it very very thin with the clay shaper!!!

The directions for the simple flowers is in "POLYMER CLAY" exploring new techniques and new materials.  From Rockport Press written by Georgia Sargeant and Celie Fago with Livia McRee.  Theres more information in SaraJane Helms book "CELEBRATIONS WITH POLYMER CLAY". That has a picture of the Wedding  Bouquet on the Cover!!! I'm really proud of that one!!!! What a kick to end up on the cover!!!! I still get a thrill everytime I go in a store and that book is in it!  I want to run around the store with it shoutinh out to everyone "I did that" I did that". <G>

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 13) 
 63975.8 in reply to 63975.6 

Barbara I have one of those books. I went on You tube and typed in marzipan flowers and watched videos of how cake decorators make their flowers and adapted it to clay, Then it is practice practice practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIubo1qXDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWYlklg6AU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polymer+clay+flowers&search_type=&aq=f

Hope this helps you

Merrie

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/8/10 9:10 PM 
To: merrie60  (9 of 13) 
 63975.9 in reply to 63975.8 
Thanks Merrie!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon3/8/10 9:11 PM 
To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 13) 
 63975.10 in reply to 63975.7 

Oh Leigh, thank you so much for the detailed tips! Which "simple flowers" were you referring to in the first book?

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Photos Site
My Etsy Store
My Ebay Auctions

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.