Sculpture and Miniatures -  Super Sculpey vs Super Sculpey Gray Firm (132 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 9) 
Hi all!

Still brewing on the idea of starting a sculpture and have a big ol' question...

I saw a great tutorial and the guy used white Super Sculpey and mixed it with black & white sculpey iii to get the gray color for modeling.

I notice that there is Super Sculpey that already comes in Gray but the package says "Firm". How firm is it? What is the difference between that and the regular white super Sculpey? Does Super Sculpey come in a Gray normal version and not firm?

Do you think I'll be able to just use the Gray firm instead of mixing all the colors? I don't have a pasta machine. I know they're cheap but I dont really feel like spending the money on something I'm not going to use that often. Especially for a first time sculpey sculpture..I just wanna sorta buy the stuff and start.

I've only ever worked with terra cotta and air dry clays and i find that they're a pain if you dont have alot of time to sit there and do many hours at a time. By the time i get a chance to continue on the sculpture, everything dries up and is useless. It's also a HUGE mess! I want to try something with an oven bake clay this time.

Any suggestions on what is best to use?

Reply   Options 

To: RobinHoodFan  (2 of 9) 
 65485.2 in reply to 65485.1 

Wish I could help but I can't. I suspect that the Super Sculpey is okay for hand work - it was here before most of the other clays.

Maybe if you Google Super Sculpey, you'll find some info. Also, check out Katherine Dewey's website - she is a sculptor extraordinaire, and has written several books - she may have info about clays right on her site.

Good luck!

Jackie

Claypen Art:      http://gallery.gundo.com/gallery/the-Claypen
My Etsy shop:   http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePleasantPheasant

To: RobinHoodFan  (3 of 9) 
 65485.3 in reply to 65485.1 
The Gray Firm is designed for sculpting.  Give it a try.

To: RobinHoodFan  (4 of 9) 
 65485.4 in reply to 65485.1 

The Super Sculpey white was the first type of polymer clay I encountered, back in the 90s...although I made a few things with it, I didn't think it was tremendously good for fine detail, nor was it all that sturdy. Mixing black and white Super Sculpey may get you a grey color, but that's not the same as having a firm clay that happens to be grey.

DocSarah is right: the Gray Firm material was specifically created for sculpting work -- it makes sense to use the right material for your stated goal.

Even with the Firm material, it will pay off to check the Polyform site to see how it should be conditioned [maybe you don't need a pasta machine; maybe you can just whack the heck out of it as people used to condition Kato clay?].

Diving in and "just getting started" is great in terms of attitude, but enthusiasm plus the wrong materials is just a recipe for frustration [says the woman who finally got a good quality backsaw and _now_ can understand how dovetails are cut by hand...]

Rhet

To: Rhetrx  (5 of 9) 
 65485.5 in reply to 65485.4 
Thanks everyone for the help!

I figured that the gray was made for sculpting but I don't know how firm it is. The first and only 3 packs of sculpey iii I've used for my first and only cane were super hard to condition. I had to use the bottom of a beer bottle at full force to mush it down before I could even use my hands. it was WAY harder than anything I've ever worked with even harder than the terra cotta. I don't think i'll be able to work with something that hard for a full sculpture without going full out marble or wood chiseling..lol. It was probably old and slightly cured from the heat or something when I bought it....since everyone says sculpey iii is pure mush. Do you think the artist from the tutorial chose to mix in sculpey iii to make it softer for modeling?

Hmm....well anyway, i haven't sculpted since highschool so I'm a bit out of the loop on all the clays and how they are to work with and if i can even be any good at sculpting anymore.

my best bet probably would be the gray...it's just easier for now..live and learn i suppose! I just hate wasting money if the clay wont work and be useless...:/ I mean 5 bux for 3 packs of scupey ii was ok if proven useless...but 15 for the lb of super sculpey is slightly more risky...

To: RobinHoodFan  (6 of 9) 
 65485.6 in reply to 65485.5 

Ah. If you're really just testing out the waters, then I'd consider getting some of the cheaper product, leaching some overnight and leaving yourself some of the stuff in the package to mix in...in case you leach out too much plasticizer for your purposes.

Heck, you could just start with a block of Sculpey, try something, decide it's too mushy, then roll it out and leach it for a little while. Try again. Still too mushy? Leach it again.

Lather, rinse, repeat until you get something you like!

Rhet

To: RobinHoodFan  (7 of 9) 
 65485.7 in reply to 65485.5 

I don't know where you're located but if you're anywhere near a Michael's go to their website and sign up for coupons. They usually email you a 40% coupon in a couple of days. Then you'll usually get them once a week. Sometimes it's 50%. You can only get the coupons by signing up, not by going to website.

If you have an AC Moore near you get them right off the website. Don't know about Hobby Lobby but somebody here can help you with that if there's one close to you.

Martha

From: Chris (rutterc) DelphiPlus Member Icon8/21/10 11:28 AM 
To: RobinHoodFan  (8 of 9) 
 65485.8 in reply to 65485.1 
I used the Gray Firm several years ago to sculpt a head. I really liked the clay... it held the shape well and didn't get mushy while working with it. Good luck!

To: All  (9 of 9) 
 65485.9 in reply to 65485.8 
OK, so I ran out to michaels today on a mission. Now that I have a better idea of what clays are what from reading on the forum, I was able to snoop around better. Here's what I found:

So the Gray Firm sculpey clay seemed like a really great candidate however, It was the most expensive. (I did have a 40% coupon off one item and I brought my husband along so I'd get 2 items ;)) So the gray firm was 15.99 for 1 pound and the regular white sculpey was 12.99 for 1.5 lbs...so there was some decision to be made there since 1lb looked like so little. I was leaning towards the gray anyway since it's really hard to see what you're sculpting in white.

But then I wanted to see if they had what I needed for creating a mold to cast a resin figure instead of the poly bake clay. I've always wanted to make a mold to cast a figurine...so...after about an hour of me and my husband figuring out how to do it, and what we would need, here was the final decision:

I purchased 3 lbs of gray modeling clay...I'm going to sculpt something...not sure yet as to what....and if It goes well and I really like it and think it's worth while, I will do some research and figure out howt to make the mold and cast a resin figure out of it.

I figure this was the best solution to my problem. It gets me clay to play with and if I mess up and feel it's not worth it, it was only $10 for 3 pounds and I can always use the clay for one of my animations since it never dries out, it's perfect ;)

When I get the time to start sculpting, I'll let you guys know how it goes. In the meantime, has anyone ever made a 2-part silicone mold with a plaster support casing to cast a resin figure and live to tell about it?

Thanks! You guys are all great! I love this forum!!!! =D

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.