Swap Activities -  Idea for a Unique Swap (219 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/2/11 3:42 PM 
To: All  (1 of 21) 

I just got what I think is a unique idea for a swap, inspired by one of the challenges in Top Chef. If you are a fan, you might remember when they cheftestants have done a relay quickfire in which they are broken into teams of 4, and while 3 of the team members are blindfolded, the other member prepares food with an idea in mind for what the dish should be. Then each other member in turn is given a chance to add to or modify the dish until the last person completes the composed dish. It's really interesting to see whether or not the team members get a sense for what the first person wanted to create or if they all try to add their own spin on the dish.

So my idea is for a Relay Swap. I would break up participants in teams/groups of 4, and one person would start making an item with polymer clay (it could be anything) and then send it off to the next person who can add/embellish or change the first item and then send it on to the next person, and so on. I think I would rotate who the initial person would be in each team/group, so that it isn't always the same person who has to "start" the piece. And I think it would be cool if the first person to start the piece is the one who gets to keep the finished piece in the end.

Those are my basic ideas for how the swap would work. It would require timeliness and reliability (and so I would probably only sign up people I know, considering what has happened in other swaps in the last year or so). Let me know your thoughts or if you're interested. I think it could be really interested, challenging and fun!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Etsy Shop
My Flickr Photos

Reply   Options 

To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 21) 
 66565.2 in reply to 66565.1 

I rarely do swaps anymore, so this is an observation from an "innocent bystander!"

MAYBE this would work with a small group of friends, but frankly I would never personally participate in something like this because to me the likelihood of ending up with something worth keeping seems outweighed by the likelihood that it would be a flop, and therefore disappointing to everyone. (Maybe I lack trust?!)

Actually, this might be a fun project for a guild meeting...

Just one thought to consider...

Sherry Bailey

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/4/11 3:44 AM 
To: SherryBinNH  (3 of 21) 
 66565.3 in reply to 66565.2 

Interestingly, I kind of expected you to respond and I pretty much guessed what you'd say. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but many of the posts you've written to me (and those are the only ones I can speak about, I'm not sure what your posts to others say) always seem to be negative. . . as in, "I wouldn't do that," "That's not something I do," "I don't think that would work, etc." I don't know you really well but I hope your intention with these posts is to help in some way. Unfortunately, your posts usually just come across to me very negative.

I am aware that not everyone finds the end result of a swap to be all that fulfilling. I myself have felt that way at times, but for this swap I feel the purpose would not be to get a great piece at the end of the swap, but to see what 4 disparate people would make and how the item might evolve from one artist to the next. The focus would be on the process and the experience, not the end result. I think that is worthwhile concept and I think it would be very interesting to see what would change with each artists' input.

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Etsy Shop
My Flickr Photos

From: Connie (CCConnie) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/4/11 6:43 AM 
To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 21) 
 66565.4 in reply to 66565.3 
I agree. I think it's a good thing.. and normally I'd join, but my studio is half packed and I have 2 commissions.
Perhaps in a few months...

Uniquely Handcrafted ~ Polymer Clay, Fine Silver, Fiber Arts 

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/4/11 8:53 AM 
To: Connie (CCConnie) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 21) 
 66565.5 in reply to 66565.4 
Thanks Connie. . . it's a shame you don't have time now, but you know, considering the lack of interest that's been shown thus far, by the time I set it up, you might find yourself free!

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Etsy Shop
My Flickr Photos

From: Donna (DonnaHIngram) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/4/11 10:04 AM 
To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 21) 
 66565.6 in reply to 66565.5 
Barbara, I would be up for it so keep me in mind. I just did a Puzzle Challenge and really enjoyed it.

To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 21) 
 66565.7 in reply to 66565.1 

Barbara,

I think this swap would be a lot of fun. I would like to be included if you get enough people to join in.

Sandy

To: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 21) 
 66565.8 in reply to 66565.3 

Sorry you think I'm negative. I've been around the polymer clay forums for something like 20 years now, and most people are aware that I'm very honest. I think the whole concept of being politically correct and sunshiney all the time can lead to problems -- I know a polymer clay artist who invented a device that she surveyed people for interest. Everybody was all "Oh, what a great idea", but when she spent a literal fortune prototyping and manufacturing the thing, nobody wanted to buy it. If more people had honestly said "well, maybe that wouldnt work for me" or "interesting idea but I couldn't pay that price", she would have been saved a lot of pain and loss of money.

So if somebody asks a question I assume (incorrectly for you, I gather) that they are seeking honest input. If I can forsee a fly in the ointment, I mention it -- partly for the sake of others who are too polite to speak up. I never presume, though, that "everybody" agrees with me, so I use myself as the example of my reasoning. My thinking is that you might want to know why nobody signs up if that were to happen.

Trying to be helpful. Sorry if you don't think so.

Sherry

To: SherryBinNH  (9 of 21) 
 66565.9 in reply to 66565.8 

Sherry, I think you've been singled out like this before. I also think (and I hope so because I certainly intended to) that you are honest in a good way, and I value your insights and opinions. I moved from an area to a part of the world where sugarcoating is highly revered, it seems, by many people. I think people find me blunt, but I think back east I was just considered direct and to the point. I guess I see your comments that way. Never hurtful or cruel, just honest.

(And this is not an indictment of anyone else or any part of the country)
Betsy

From: Barbara P-W (bdpw10) DelphiPlus Member Icon1/4/11 6:39 PM 
To: Donna (DonnaHIngram) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 21) 
 66565.10 in reply to 66565.6 

I don't know what a puzzle challenge is, but I'm glad to hear you're interested in the idea! I'll keep you in mind and see if I get enough people.

To be honest, we'd only need 4 participants (including me) to start. I'm thinking each one of us would start a project (so everyone has a turn at various points in the process) and then mail the piece to the next person and so on. So with a group of 4, we'd be doing 4 projects total. How does that sound?

Barbara  
XO Candles & Clay
My Etsy Shop
My Flickr Photos

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.