TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Oven failure vs thermometer failure (117 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 

I have a convection oven that's getting on in years. So the other night when the thermometer I keep inside to monitor temps only went up to 220 degrees, when it was set for 275 degrees, my immediate assumption was that the oven had finally died/failed.

Luckily my sweetie didn't make that assumption. He went out and got new thermometers and discovered the oven was fine, it was the THERMOMETER that had registered the wrong temp / failed. A new thermometer for under a few bucks is much preferable to the price of a new convection oven!

Just wanted to alert everyone else... don't assume it's the oven like me!

And even more so, the sweetie/engineer says 2 thermometers, of DIFFERENT brands, is best. Apparently those thermometers aren't all that perfect either, so if you get 2 of different brands, you're much more likely to get the real temperature. Just figure it's somewhere in the middle between the 2 temps that register. The 'different brands' is important, because each company calibrates differently.

Happy Claying!

Debbie G

((You know you're a polymer clay addict when you're too cheap to turn on the air conditioning for yourself, but if your clay gets too soft, you will turn it on then.... ))

• Edited 7/28/2011 11:40 pm ET by debtwinkle

Reply   Options 

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (2 of 8) 
 67992.2 in reply to 67992.1 
Good hubby :) Glad it worked out in your favor.
Tonja Lenderman
Jewelry & Clear Stamp Designer, published author
Polyclay Corner Blog : http://www.tonjastreasures.com/wordpress
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tonjalenderman

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (3 of 8) 
 67992.3 in reply to 67992.1 

Smart hubby! My thermometers give up the ghost regularly at least once a year. So glad that you don't have to spring for a new oven.

<<((You know you're a polymer clay addict when you're too cheap to turn on the air conditioning for yourself, but if your clay gets too soft, you will turn it on then.... ))>>

ROFL....So true!

Anita in AZ

http://MelodyODesigns.artfire.com
www.melobeau.blogspot.com

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (4 of 8) 
 67992.4 in reply to 67992.1 
thanks Debbie,
I learned this lesson the hard way (burnt my first princess) and now use 2 thermometers which are usually 5-10 degrees apart

Leah
My Website - www.MagicByLeah.com
My FaceBook Page
MagicByLeah on Twitter
My Etsy Shop
My ArtFire Shop

From: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host7/23/11 12:02 PM 
To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (5 of 8) 
 67992.5 in reply to 67992.1 

- providing FREE weekly Polymer Clay Chats & Demos for over 10 Years! 
My Photo Site

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (6 of 8) 
 67992.6 in reply to 67992.1 

Thanks for posting this. My thermometer is as old as the convection oven, so I am going to buy a second one, just to check. I have NEVER had to move the temperature selector, as this machine has always been right on.

Better safe than sorry, huh?

Thanks again,

Bette

To: StarGazer (STARGAZERCA) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 8) 
 67992.7 in reply to 67992.5 
Good information! Thanks! I'm sure it will benefit me in the making supper department too. *grin*

To: Debbie G / Twinkle (debtwinkle)  (8 of 8) 
 67992.8 in reply to 67992.1 

I asked for an oven therometer for my birthday and got it.  It was the first thing hubby bought and then we found a third in a closet.  When I got my first therometer I actually calibrated it with boiling water, which gave hubby a good laugh because I used a huge pot and waited FOREVER for it to reach boiling.

Allison

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.