TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Extruder Gun Help (228 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 10) 
I bought an extruder gun. Conditioned my clay. Popped it it.

IT SUCKS

It is so hard to push the clay through even on the largest die.
Did I just buy a crummy gun?

Reply   Options 

To: ladyshroom  (2 of 10) 
 68369.2 in reply to 68369.1 

Which gun did you buy?  My makin extruder just died today. I got out my Walnut Hollow and learned to hate it immediately, then went to Amazon.com (by way of Polymer Clay Central, of course!) and purchased another makins extruder. Can't wait until it gets here.  Something that does help is to use a heat pad on low to warm the extruder and clay up a little so it flows easier.

MK Ozarks

To: MaryKay71  (3 of 10) 
 68369.3 in reply to 68369.2 

Hi Mary Kay,

What part of your extruder broke?

Jay

To: clayjay  (4 of 10) 
 68369.4 in reply to 68369.3 

The little cap came off the screw at the end of the disc that is on the end of the plunger. I think it can be put back on, but didn't try. And I didn't want to bother my dh because he is leaving for a week tomorrow and will busy for the next month or so.  I guess I'm  in sort of a snit because I had a paid day off work today and everything that I clayed went wrong.  But I am looking forward to a new extruder. I can always have this old one as back up.  Thanks, Jay.

MK Ozarks

To: ladyshroom  (5 of 10) 
 68369.5 in reply to 68369.1 
Aww, bummer.  I have a green Makins and it's great.  That being said, the first one I had was *^^%**%#&(.  It was just awful for unknown reasons.  But the second one I've been using for a couple years now.  So, try that green Makins one.  They are, other than the possessed one I killed, good little things.  :)

To: MaryKay71  (6 of 10) 
 68369.6 in reply to 68369.4 

Hi Mary Kay,

I think the only thing that might work for that is metal glue. Go to www.thistothat.com for the kind of glue. Hope it works. Always good to have a back up(that works).

Take care, Jay

To: ladyshroom  (7 of 10) 
 68369.7 in reply to 68369.1 

As Mary Kay asked, what kind of extruder do you have?

Does the plunger move easily without any clay in the gun? What kind of clay are you using?

Jay

To: clayjay  (8 of 10) 
 68369.8 in reply to 68369.6 

Thanks, Jay. What an incredible site!  I've saved it among my favorites. And I already have JB Weld, so will give it a try.

MK Ozarks

To: All  (9 of 10) 
 68369.9 in reply to 68369.8 

Amazing I stumbled onto this today.

I have a makins. Loved it.  BUT.... only after I attached a LONG extension to the handle making it easier to crank.   

Well last Friday, the day before a big craft fair and me frantically trying to finish a few pieces, the blasted thing broke.   Sounds like the same problem someone else here had?   Little brass screw fell out of the end cap so you turn and turn and nothing happens.

I bought the Willow creek one and YUCK!    Though their crank handle is nicer than the one makins comes with, it's not as good as my altered big one.

And.... the plunger piece has a simple rubber O ring around it that FALLS OFF!!!!  Leaving most of the clay smooshed inside the barrel.   Now I think I can probably clean that piece real good and GLUE the O ring in place.  So I'll keep it.

But...   I contacted Makins and got a REAL nice guy replying.  Shocked the heck out of me since the thing is made in China.   But he seems very interested in feedback and said the company has plans to improve.   That would be nice.   He also told me they designed it with light weight aluminum "so crafters can transport it easier."   Ok I ask you.  How many of us clay nuts actually worry about transporting our extruders?

I've looked at the big one on oh heck.  Polymerclayexpress???  (Could be wrong.  It's in my bookmarks somewhere.)   BUT... that one has a trigger handle like a big caulking gun.  And I've already read lots of grumblings about how hard it is to use.  So phoey on that.

I'm going to keep in touch with this guy at Makins and make several suggestions.

Better handle for one.  use better materials.  I'd be willing to pay for it.  

Redesign the whole screw thing.  It's too small and cheap to push stiff clay no matter how well conditioned it is.

Oh that's another point he made.  The makins extruder was made to be used with makins clay which I guess is much softer than fimo, premo, kato, sculpy.  But he knows everyone uses those clays.

Lets cross our fingers that they actually do listen.   We need better tools....

Now.... seems these boards have changed?  Lets see if my old signature code works here.

sigh... guess not.  Maybe this will do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ArtmakersWorlds.com

• Edited 9/20/2011 10:36 am ET by artmaker1

To: ladyshroom  (10 of 10) 
 68369.10 in reply to 68369.1 
Hi,
I started with a Kemper and it was really, really hard to use.  I threw it out and bought a  Makins extruder. I like it a lot.  It works smoothly and doesn't take brute force to extrude the clay. 

Liz

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.