TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Embossing cards great for texture! (305 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: jainnie (tiptoetulip) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/3/11 1:15 PM 
To: All  (1 of 27) 
Sometimes I discover something and then realize that others have probably "discovered" the same thing but way earlier than me!  My latest "discovery" is embossing cards for texture.

These are the Sizzix or Cuttlebug plastic embossing cards that scrapbookers use.  Here is an example: http://www.createforless.com/Sizzix+Embossing+Folders+Tim+Holtz+Texture+Fades+Damask+_and_+Regal+Flourishes/pid181852.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse

As the link above shows, Tim Holtz also has some embossing folders with some cool textures.

I roll out my clay in the pasta machine to 2 or 3 and then lay a piece between the plastic folder.  I use my PERSUADER tool (http://www.monakissel.com/toolpersuader.html) from Mona Kissel to roll over the folder and then I have my textured piece of clay!  One side is the positive image, the other is the reverse image.

A slight spray of water or dab of powder may help your clay to not stick to the folder. 

I always love finding new "toys"!!  Right now, Hobby Lobby has a sale on Sizzix/Cuttlebug die cutters and stuff...they weren't sure if the embossing folders were included in that, but the cashier gave me 30% off, which is the current sale.  Of course using your 40% coupon would be a great deal at other times.

Jainnie

Reply   Options 

To: All  (2 of 27) 
 68637.2 in reply to 68637.1 

i's so ironic that you posted this.  i started playing around with mica shift about a week ago and wanted to get some cool texture sheets to use.  i went HL a few days ago, and i always just go straight to the clay.  but on this day i decided to wander a bit.  in doing so, i came across the diecut/scrapbook section and found the cuddlebug things.  AWESOME!!!  they work great!  and they are also cheaper than the texture sheets that are actually made for PC.  AND you can make 2 sided pieces because the image is reversed on the 2 sides of the folder thing (if this makes sense).  i'm not for sure whether you can acheive this using the PC texture sheets or not because i 've never used them...   so cheaper and 2 sided = works for me!!!

anyway, just thought i would chime in.  i read these messages all the time but i hardly ever say anything because usually someone has already said what would.

• Edited 11/3/2011 8:36 pm ET by bigKERM

To: jainnie (tiptoetulip) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 27) 
 68637.3 in reply to 68637.1 

Yeah, they're great. I made a pair of "jade" earrings that I love - one is the innie, the other the outie side.

I have a BUNCH of them!

From: jainnie (tiptoetulip) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/5/11 1:31 AM 
To: bigKERM  (4 of 27) 
 68637.4 in reply to 68637.2 

bigKERM,
There is lots of cool stuff outside of the clay aisle, no? :-) I'm resisting buying more for the time being...but those 40% off coupons are great!! The embossing sheets are really cool....with the in/out positive/negative images!

Jainnie
http://littlebearstudio.com

From: jainnie (tiptoetulip) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/5/11 1:33 AM 
To: gilladian  (5 of 27) 
 68637.5 in reply to 68637.3 
gilladian, they would certainly seem to be addicting once you start buying them!

To: jainnie (tiptoetulip) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 27) 
 68637.6 in reply to 68637.4 

yes, craft stores are awesome.  they are my favorite places to go.  and i'm a STRAIGHT guy!!!  i usually just look at the clay and jewelry aisles.  but now that i'm playing around with thextures, i'm sure there are all kinds of different products i could use as claying "tools."  if i bought everything i saw that i wanted, i would be  broke for sure.  i made myself a deal that i will only buy items when they are on sale.  but that's not really holding me back at all because usually one of the "big 3" will have clay on sale.  plus all the coupons they send out... man oh man.  i have so much stuff here just waiting to be used.  i could probably NOT go to the store for about a month and still be able to function normally.  i really need to start marketing my work more.  that way i wouldn't feel so bad about spending the money and others could help fund my addiction.  ;) 

My flickr   http://www.flickr.com/photos/60125326@N04/

From: kathy47 (kth47) DelphiPlus Member Icon11/5/11 8:58 AM 
To: bigKERM  (7 of 27) 
 68637.7 in reply to 68637.6 
So funny that you say <<I am a straight guy>>after mentioned how you like craft stores....I have to laugh when I go to Home Depot and the guy asks me if he can help...no I am just looking for texture tools thank you. They got used to me now at my local HD and just leave me to wander the aisles looking for cool shapes....

To: bigKERM  (8 of 27) 
 68637.8 in reply to 68637.6 

I just finished browsing your flicker site.  I like your work.  You do a great job with your roses, and you have some really cool flower designs.  It was a fun and inspiring trip.  I'm just glad that I live so far away from craft stores. I would stay broke. I've decided to go through my drawers of stashed goodies and actually use them all before buying any more.  Except for clay (and there is a good sized stash of that!), it would be over a year, probably more, before I hit another craft store.  I think this is going to be my pre-new year resolution. But, man, it sure is hard to pass up new toys! 

MK Ozarks

To: MaryKay71  (9 of 27) 
 68637.9 in reply to 68637.8 
thank you Mary Kay.  are you on there?
  • Edited 11/5/2011 9:11 pm ET by bigKERM

To: kathy47 (kth47) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 27) 
 68637.10 in reply to 68637.7 
well, since nobody can see me, i don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me.  not that i have anything against those who are.  just not me.  and i tend to get wierd reactions when i show people my work.  they're like "YOU made that?!" and i think most of my contacts on flickr still think i'm female although i do believe my screen name is pretty masculine sounding. 

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-27
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.