TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  microwaving clay (116 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 7) 

I found out if your clay is hard 30 seconds on defrost in the microwave softens it- if its still hard turn the block over for another 30 seconds- I have arthritis, so its hard to condition the clay manually, this is a cheat i discovered-

Reply   Options 

To: leonard93644  (2 of 7) 
 69133.2 in reply to 69133.1 
Wow!  I've got some concrete-hard kato clay I'd like to try that on. Would be awesome if it worked on that stuff!

Pam from Michigan

To: skywardbound  (3 of 7) 
 69133.3 in reply to 69133.2 
it worked on stale 2oz blocks of sculpey and fimo- microwaving vibrates water molecules, creating friction- same thing manually working it would do- warms it up. you stil have to condition it by hand a bit, but it makes it easier-

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/15/12 7:57 PM 
To: leonard93644  (4 of 7) 
 69133.4 in reply to 69133.1 
Please be very careful, the first thing the company all say is DO NOT MICROWAVE. there may be other reasons, along the same line if you take the hard to work clay and throw it on a firm surface like the floor, with something safe on it you  might vibrate those molecules also!!! putting it on a low heating pad, put it in a plastic bag and float it in hot water. or take the hard clay and work it with really soft translucent clay these are worth trying. but please be careful with the microwave it truely scares me.
SincereLEIGH,
meigh

My Personal Website -        www. SincereLeigh.com

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 7) 
 69133.5 in reply to 69133.4 
I have to agree with Leigh,
while I haven't tried it myself, as I scientist I can tell you that microwaving clay can damage the plastic molecules are release harmful toxins
please ventilate when experimenting

Leah

My Website: MagicByLeah.com
My NEW BLOG: MagicByLeah on Blogspot
My Online Shops: Artfire - MagicByLeah Etsy - MagicByLeah Etsy - TrinketsByLeah
Facebook: MagicByLeah TrinketsByLeah
Twitter: @MagicByLeah
My 'Alter Ego' Leah4sci

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (6 of 7) 
 69133.6 in reply to 69133.4 
Thanks for the concern, the companys concern is people poisoning themselves with fumes- lawsuits- microwaves create hot spots, and burning polymer is toxic- but you could do the same in a conventional oven- and i have- firing it too hot- i found other people who defrost nuke their clay for 15 seconds- its not even enough energy to thermoset it. But i will be careful.

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host2/19/12 12:21 PM 
To: leonard93644  (7 of 7) 
 69133.7 in reply to 69133.6 
As leah said we dont know what the microwaves does to the clay.please keep a good ventilation system going.
SincereLEIGH,
meigh

My Personal Website -        www. SincereLeigh.com

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.