BreakRoom/Almost Anything Goes -  How do you give something away? (76 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/15/12 3:51 PM 
To: All  (1 of 13) 

This probably sounds a little silly but I thought I would ask you guys first!!! Don[t get excited it's not clay!!!

I have my mothers sea shell collection, now this isn[t just a little collection of shells she found on the beach, it's a professional collection she sunk hundreds of dollars into this collection. She's been gone for many years but I've kept it thinking one of the kids would want it, but that hasnt happened yet. So I'm thinking I couold sell them but I have no idea of their worth, I know some are very expensive. I could also donate them to some place but How would I ever find the right place who would want the collection

Any one have any ideas???  There is so many and I don't have the room, I have some that  I love and will keep, but the rest of them I'd love to make someone happy if they could display them!!!!

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

My Personal Website -        www. SincereLeigh.com

Reply   Options 

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 13) 
 69378.2 in reply to 69378.1 

Hi Leigh, Your mom's collection sounds wonderful. Here are a few ideas of resources that might possibly help you find a home for the collection:

http://www.seashellsguide.com/
http://www.ofseaandshore.com/publications/publications.php
http://dallasshellclub.org/

Anita in AZ
http://MelodyODesigns.artfire.com/
www.melobeau.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/melobeau/

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 13) 
 69378.3 in reply to 69378.1 
And once you've found their value, there's always Craig's List or eBay :-)
I've found that you do better selling things one at a time than as a collection, but that experience may vary depending on what you're selling. It's sounds like a wonderful collection - wish I could take it!

Local schools might be interested in displaying them, or the right kind of small museum. Or someone who just loves them might buy them from you - never a bad thing to make a little money! I keep thinking about places like dive shops and high end aquarium services - the kind that do doctor's offices - they could really showcase them.

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 13) 
 69378.4 in reply to 69378.1 
Taking a hint from Antiques Roadshow, a recommended first step to learning the value of a professional collection is to contact an appraiser that specializes in that area. Plus an appraiser would be likely to know galleries, museums or businesses that would be interested in the collection as a donation or purchase.

Another approach is simply web browsing sea shell collections and collectors. You may find specific shells are worth hundreds of dollars.

Of course, you can only fetch what the market can bear. Given the current economic state, it might be better to wait a little if you're hoping for more interested parties and/or higher sale prices.

Desiree
Prez & Co-Founder, South Bay Polymer Clay Guild

To view my polymer clay galleries and lessons, you're invited to visit my website:
http://desiredcreations.com

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/15/12 5:37 PM 
To: Melody01  (5 of 13) 
 69378.5 in reply to 69378.2 
Thank you Anita, thats a good start!!!!
SincereLEIGH,
meigh

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/15/12 5:39 PM 
To: mkirkwag1  (6 of 13) 
 69378.6 in reply to 69378.3 
Those are some good ideas Too, I would love if they could go someplace where people could enjoy them for a long time!!!
SincereLEIGH,
meigh

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/15/12 5:44 PM 
To: desireem1  (7 of 13) 
 69378.7 in reply to 69378.4 
Oh wise one, geetting them appraised would really be the best thing to do before I think of doing anything, but where am I going to find an appraiser, I live on the Joisey Shore., so there must be someone around here, I'm going to look for an appraiser first, although I'm not looking for money, but it would be smart to know just for tax purposes if nothing else. But I'm not too crazy so that if I was offered money there is a good chance I would take it!<G> unless they were going to destroy them!!!
SincereLEIGH,
meigh

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (8 of 13) 
 69378.8 in reply to 69378.1 
I think I'd investigate area universities, especially ones with marine biology or oceanography departments, as well as any natural history museums in the area. You might find experts to advise as well as worthy places to donate or sell to.

Sherry Bailey

From: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/16/12 3:56 PM 
To: SherryBinNH  (9 of 13) 
 69378.9 in reply to 69378.8 

Some more good ideas, thank you!

SincereLEIGH,
meigh

To: Leigh (SINCERELEIGH) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 13) 
 69378.10 in reply to 69378.9 
Start with photographing the shells, preferably with the documentation of where they are from/species, etc.

If you're in New Jersey, you could contact the state aquarium and ask if they would be interested in a donation -- you might still need an appraisal, but they might be able to use them in a public-access collection [some nature centers have places where supervised people can actually handle the objects].

Rhet, missing her family up at Exit 16W

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-13
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.