TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Rings (195 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 

I've just been asked to make some simple costume jewelry rings for a friend --plain strip bands set with tiny cabochon stones-- and I have never made rings before.

Here's a link to her Facebook album pic -- hope it shows up... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=513217192037015&set=p.513217192037015&type=1&ref=nf

Anyone have any tips, Hints or advice on how to make them?

Reply   Options 

To: gilladian  (2 of 8) 
 69715.2 in reply to 69715.1 
Hi Gillian,
Have you a metal ring sizer?  Or something metal that's the right size for the ring you want to make?  If so then just wrap your strip of clay around that and cure it right on the metal.  Don't use wood or you'll never get the ring off once it's cured.  You can decorate the ring before you cure.  It's easy when the band is already on the sizer.  Then stick the base of the sizer into a mug or something to keep the ring from touching anything in your oven and POOF!  all done.  :) Don't forget to take photos for us!  :D

Click to Visit My Shops

To: Moe2647 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 69715.3 in reply to 69715.2 

I don't have a ring sizer, no; it sounds like it would be just what I need, though.

I made a couple of "test rings" using hole cutters as sizers. My big worry is the ring "joins" separating, or the whole thing just being too flimsy for a day or two of wearing.

I'm not certain if I should try embedding a wire or other armature in the clay, or if a ring is too small to need it.

To: gilladian  (4 of 8) 
 69715.4 in reply to 69715.3 
If you can find something to put the ring on before you cure it, you can use a wand or knitting needle or just your finger to smooth over the join then put one of your decorations over that spot.  You could also use a piece of flashing as armature but that's a lot of work for only wearing it a couple days.  I say just go for the clay and avoid using it to knock on solid oak doors.  :D

Click to Visit My Shops

To: Moe2647 DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 69715.5 in reply to 69715.4 

That's just about the conclusion I had come to - that I should just cover the join with a small ornament.

I'm using small round kemper cutters as my "ring sizers"; I can bake right on them just fine.

To: gilladian  (6 of 8) 
 69715.6 in reply to 69715.5 
don't forget to take photos!  :D

Click to Visit My Shops

To: gilladian  (7 of 8) 
 69715.7 in reply to 69715.1 
Are these for an event or something? (You mention wearing them for "a couple of days".) Because I wouldn't trust polymer clay to hold up very well for longer than that.

Also, definitely I would use well conditioned strong clay (Kato, Premo, Fimo) and cure for at least a half hour at the hottest setting safe for the clay. You want the flexibility of properly cured clay, not the brittleness you get if it's not right (or that you get from Sculpey.)

Sherry Bailey

To: SherryBinNH  (8 of 8) 
 69715.8 in reply to 69715.7 

Sherry,
They're for a weekend long costume event; not intended for a lot of repeat wear...

I always use Kato clay, and cure at or around 300, so that's covered. Thanks for the advice, though!

I need to take pics of the one I still have; I gave her the others already.

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.