Guild/Show/Conventions/classes -  Starting up a new one - HELP (116 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: All  (1 of 8) 
Me and another person here in the West Michigan area would like to start up another Polymer Clay/ Crafters Guild, seems how the Grand Rapids Guild in no longer active, at least we can't find that they are still active. 

But we have no idea what is needed to start this.

Do we need to be part of a National Guild that gives us guidelines or is this just something we can start up on our own and name it and set the rules as we see fit?

We would like some guidance in this area because we are very serous about this. 
Please contact me at Arnoutsa@msn.com. 

Thank you, 
Alyce Arnouts.

Reply   Options 

To: Arnoutsa  (2 of 8) 
 69820.2 in reply to 69820.1 
It's your club, you can do what you want!

I'd get the word out that you are starting the club in craft stores that sell clay and whatever other ways you can, set a meeting probably in somebody's home, do some show and tell, try a technique or two, have some fun. Once you get a bit established and have a core group of interested people, elect officers, decide if you want a treasury (which you need if you want to buy stuff like videos for the club, if you want to pay teachers to visit, if you want to rent a space for your meetings, etc.) Getting a bank account for a club is one of the more "serious" steps in setting a club up, since you need to figure out who gets access, who is responsible, what happens to the money if the group disbands, etc. (But you don't have to do that from Day One, either.)

You can certainly see what the National Guild has to offer or suggest, but official affiliation is kind of secondary to getting started.

My area guild meets on a night I have to work, so I haven't gone in ages. But it used to be a lot of fun.

Sherry Bailey

To: Arnoutsa  (3 of 8) 
 69820.3 in reply to 69820.1 
Where in west Michigan are you?

To: garlicgirl3  (4 of 8) 
 69820.4 in reply to 69820.3 
I'm in Muskegon, but my friend is in Grand Rapids, why?

To: Arnoutsa  (5 of 8) 
 69820.5 in reply to 69820.4 
Just wondering.  I'm in the Saugatuck/Douglas area; was hoping you'd be closer.  Good luck! 

To: garlicgirl3  (6 of 8) 
 69820.6 in reply to 69820.5 
SO there ARE more polymer clay crafter's out there in West Michigan.  The only ones I could find are towards Detroit. This is why me and the only other one I found want to start classes and stuff to get more people involved to see if we could get a group going.
Good to know there are more of us around here!!

To: Arnoutsa unread  (7 of 8) 
 69820.7 in reply to 69820.6 

It is good to know!  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around my area.....the clay section at the Michael's in Holland looks pretty much the same from one visit to another.

From: Parymdk DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host9/19/12 10:31 AM 
To: Arnoutsa  (8 of 8) 
 69820.8 in reply to 69820.1 
Arnoutsa says:
Me and another person here in the West Michigan area would like to start up another Polymer Clay/ Crafters Guild, seems how the Grand Rapids Guild in no longer active, at least we can't find that they are still active. 

But we have no idea what is needed to start this.

Do we need to be part of a National Guild that gives us guidelines or is this just something we can start up on our own and name it and set the rules as we see fit?

We would like some guidance in this area because we are very serous about this. 
Please contact me at Arnoutsa@msn.com. 

Thank you, 
Alyce Arnouts.
 No, you do not need to be part of the IPCA to start your own guild, though they do have a nice set of "ideas and hints" to get started.

You can set your own rules. When I started the Bakersfield, Ca Guild, it pretty much came about from me "teaching" a group of three ladies the basics. From there we decided to meet once a month for clay days, where we could spend time gabbing and claying, claying and eating. you know...fun stuff. Wasn't until 6 months passed that we decided to become a "guild".

This is your group.....make it what you want.
Kathi
IPCA US Guild Liaison

Dragonsglass.com
Creative Arts of the Soul

My Flickr Site

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.