TIPS, TRICKS and TIDBITS -  Help with glue (143 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

To: bblfraser  (7 of 10) 
 69897.7 in reply to 69897.6 
Thanks for the info.  Sorry to take so long to respond my once Hurricane Sandy hit the Jersey Shore everything else took last place on my list of things to do.

Our P.O. across the street from where I live took in 3 feet of water. There's some talk it may not open again.  I lost my car.  If P.O. doesn't open that will be the end of my jewelry business.

Pat

Reply   Options 

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (8 of 10) 
 69897.8 in reply to 69897.7 
I'm so sorry to  hear this. I hope things will turn around for you soon. What a mess! Good luck!!!

Betsy

To: Pat (TRICIART)  (9 of 10) 
 69897.9 in reply to 69897.1 

I do not trust glue (alone) for findings for polymer clay.

I took a workshop on glues with a jeweler at a national conference at Arrowmont a few years back, and he said polymer clay is not truly compatible with any glue. The chemistry of the clay interferes with the chemistry of glues, if not immediately then over time. (Chris Heinz?? I forget his name.)

His best suggestion was good two-part epoxy, the five minute kind is ok but the 24 hour kind is better.

I use cyanoacrylate glues a lot, but not for anything that is meant to hold the weight of the whole piece (unless, like a pin back, it is both glued on AND covered in clay that is baked in place.) That is a chemical AND a mechanical bond. They reinforce each other.

I like to embed bails or wire supporting bails into the raw clay, using glue if needed to strengthen the bond, but not as the only component. (Sometimes that means specific findings aren't too good with the clay.)

Some people might have good results long term with glue-on bails for light weight pendants, and you can probably trust their advice. But it's not good enough for me, coming from some college courses in jewelry design using precious metals and soldering.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

To: SherryBinNH  (10 of 10) 
 69897.10 in reply to 69897.9 
Thank you.  Makes a lot of sense.

Pat

First Discussion>>

Navigate this discussion: 1-6 7-10
Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.